U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 06:17 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,887,418 times

Advertisements

Are there any people here who have done gardening in Puerto Rico? Any suggestions for me as to type of vegetables that work well (I am in the south, dry part of the island) and any warnings as far as animals, insects to look out for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 08:57 AM

6,474 posts, read 13,406,838 times
I am so so jealous! SIGH. Stuck here in the mainland til I can afford to move to a warm place. Siiiiigh. Making the best of it.

Anyway, you can grow a LOT in a tropical climate. I would suggest learning about the local edibles, as things you would traditionally grow in a temperate garden may not do well.

You can easily grow bananas (Eaten immature as a cooked starch as well as ripe), elephant ears (They're edible and eaten in the caribbean), sweet potatoes (the red kind, a few of which are used as "ornamentals"), cassava, breadfruit, all types of citrus, malabar spinach, chayote/christophene (it is like summer squash). The list goes ON and ON.

You can also grow papaya trees (papayas are eaten green as a cooked veggie as well as ripe) and avocado trees from the seed. Of course okra, eggplant and peppers grow Extremely well. The problem you'll have is trying to keep plants under control...not trying to get them to grow.

I am trying not to be too jealous.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:37 PM

17 posts, read 95,169 times
How is your spanish? You can check the books and webpage of mr douglas candelario
In addition to mentioned fruits, you can add varieties oif guavas, tamarind, citrics, passionfruit, soursoup, acerola/caribbean cherries, pineapple , herbs( rosemary,basil,oregano, peppermint....

Old 07-24-2012, 05:28 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,406,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King king View Post
How is your spanish? You can check the books and webpage of mr douglas candelario
In addition to mentioned fruits, you can add varieties oif guavas, tamarind, citrics, passionfruit, soursoup, acerola/caribbean cherries, pineapple , herbs( rosemary,basil,oregano, peppermint....
Mmmm soursop...mmmmn guaaaava..mmm

Old 07-28-2012, 01:51 PM

1,070 posts, read 1,331,014 times
Here in the East Coast, I get Avocados and Mangoes directly from the Island, from friends. There are no Avocados anywhere in the world like a Puerto Rican one. They are huge, meaty, and delicious. One was about 12" long. And the Mangoes are sweet and superb......simply awesome, and it has to do with the quality of the soil. Puerto Rico has excellent soil, like certain parts of California.......

Old 12-11-2014, 04:40 AM

5 posts, read 8,604 times
Default I am looking for this long horn beetles in puerto Rico

Hello

I am sincerely looing for this long - horn beetles in Puerto Rico.

Since i was Kid, i have been collecting beetles for my collections for about 35 years.

whenever you see this long - horn beetles around there , Let me know,please !

I would like to buy this beetles.

As a token of my gratitude, i can pay you $100 per by paypal method or Bank transfer.

Attached, exactly what i am looking for.

when you see this , just keep it in refrigerator putting in small plastic Box, then let me know.

My e-mail address : dorcus04@naver.com
Attached Thumbnails
Gardening in Puerto Rico-111.bmp   Gardening in Puerto Rico-111-1-.jpg   Gardening in Puerto Rico-111-2-.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden