U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 09:23 AM

1,336 posts, read 2,695,382 times

Advertisements

We have a big garden, I'm guessing 1/4 - 1/3 acre. (Big enough that we manage it witha small tractor and a 48" woods tiller)

This morning I got rid of some of the old summer crop to make room for our turnips, mustard and kale. We did not have the seed when I got done, so I just now came home with the seed.

The questions is this:

Wife says you MUST plant the seed right after you till, because when you till, you bring up the moisture. Therefore she is suggesting that I wait and till it again, and we must plant immediately after.

I counter with the fact that I already tilled it to maximum depth. If I till it again, thne it is just going to turn the same soil, and not bring any moisture. And that the morning dew (and the fact that the soil is still fairly moist at just an inch or so deep) will be enough moisture to germinate the seeds and allow for proper growth.

We are in Central NC. Rain is unpredicatable, but expected in the coming week. Watering is not an option due to the size and location of the garden.

Do I:
a. plant it now and hope for the best
2. till it again, and plant immediately after tilling
c. give me your other suggestions.

Thanks for any help or insight you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 04:07 PM

7,730 posts, read 12,446,984 times
Go with the moon. This is from the Farmer's Almanac.
Rain is expected much of next week. I'd wait for that and schedule planting with the almanac's advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or