U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 10:45 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,226,194 times

Advertisements

Pam doesn't seem to dry out and I respray about once a month or a real heavy rain. Simple, cheap and safe. Hummingbirds do eat insects. They feed them to their babies almost exclusively and that is why they sort of disappear for a few weeks. Then they are back at the flowers and feeders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 11:02 PM

12,154 posts, read 22,113,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Harley View Post
Did but it seems to dry and they walk over it after a couple of days.

You need to put a really thick coat of it on. Then it won't dry out.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:09 PM

48 posts, read 155,506 times
I don't really think you can.

When you are sick of them, research the kinds of flowers that the little critters love. This is what we do, and we never want for them.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:55 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,226,194 times
I have researched and do have many flowers that are attractive to both hummers and butterflies. My hummers STILL disappear for a couple of weeks during the summer from the feeders and flowers as much as they had been . I researched it and it is there - there is even a name for the phenomenon - when they are concentrating on feeding their babies and they feed them exclusively protein. My hummers actually prefer the garden as I have so much and I have the feeder in addition. They STILL are not around as much for a few weeks because of raising their young and the needed diet. Then I have them all back and they are all vying for my garden.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 980 times
A friend told me to use chalk. Ants don't cross that either and it's easily replaced.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:47 AM

374 posts, read 392,584 times
Same way we use to keep squirrels out of our bird feeders. We put the feeded on a 2 or 3 inch PVC pipe,then covered the pipe with Vaseline. It was some show the squirrels put on trying to climb up that pole,then slide back down before they got anywhere near the feeder.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:39 AM

4 posts, read 575 times

I often do it like this. You'll need to locate the feeder somewhere else far from the ants first. Pour water on the ant moat (the green thing on the picture). Ants can not swim so there shouldn't be any problem getting rid of those annoying insect.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:53 AM

7,552 posts, read 2,616,788 times
I had this problem too. The moat was a pain because it would dry out here everyday because of the heat. Once it dried even for a little while, boom the ants were all over it. I was constantly filling it and that wasn't easy to do.
Vaseline didn't work either because the ants just climbed on it and would get stuck. After so many ants get stuck they form an ant bridge over the Vaseline and right to the feeder.
This is what I finally found that really works. No more ants period. The battle is over, finished.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Perky-Pe...duct_206435890

Old 11-24-2017, 12:52 AM

4 posts, read 575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenCamper102 View Post
I often do it like this. You'll need to locate the feeder somewhere else far from the ants first. Pour water on the ant moat (the green thing on the picture). Ants can not swim so there shouldn't be any problem getting rid of those annoying insect.
I've add a link for those who want to look for this picture original post. And one more thing, if the water get dry out, using petroleum jelly would be a fine solution.

Old 12-01-2017, 04:31 PM

1,976 posts, read 1,091,734 times
We put some double-sided tape on the stand. It lasts a long time and works well. The moat is a neat idea, but here in Phoenix I'd probably have to refill it every day in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden