Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:06 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times

Advertisements

With some tweaking this might work. No white paint and set your boards closer. I think your house has a heavy solid look. IMO the fence needs some oomph too. I think a top board and some bigger posts and finials would help.

Build A Picket Fence - Popular Mechanics

Im thinking you could take the flat fence panels like in #3 and add to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 12:36 PM

230 posts, read 1,215,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
My lean is toward the last one. Straight lines are preferable. The arches and dips tend to be more expensive and tell the surrounding community "I have money" and that isn't the kind of thing I want to convey to the neighborhood nor passers by. Yes, I spent too much time studying crime stats. The damage is done and all I can do is think along the lines of crime prevention. Speaking of which, privacy fences are not recommended because they give burglars and thieves a place to hide.
Great points. I am hesitant to 'stand out' in the neighborhood with the arch or the dip, even though I do agree they look better stylistically. I'm thinking to go with the bold straight lines of the straight-top, but still keeping the gothic posts for SOME type of decoration, not to mention I hate those cheap-looking black plastic caps that come standard on the regular posts.

As far as security, I agree a fence can work both ways, but I am willing to take that risk. The best thing I think you can do is get some good flood lights if you have a fenced in yard, preferably high up on the 3rd story so they cannot be tampered with easily, and close to a window opening so I can change the bulbs without a 3-story ladder!

Old 08-11-2009, 05:36 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
I like them all! But I agree with others that you should match your fencing to the architecture of your house.

Regarding this quote, I'd be cautious about plastic/vinyl fencing. Our neighbors put in a white plastic fence, and it looks just awful now. It has turned green with moss/age/stains, and no amount of their scrubbing will whiten it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I would suggest the white plastic type, if you can afford it. It's a lot more expensive than wood but will never need any maintenence, doesn't rot, split or warp and no nail or staple popping, plus it looks a lot better and there's no shrinkage or gaps between the boards for prying eyes. .

Old 08-11-2009, 06:48 AM

532 posts, read 2,844,530 times
IMO:
Arched is more country or romantic feel
Dip is more formal (at this height). I've seen this style in the yards of many higher end homes.
Flat. Clean, simple, more contempory feel. Actually pretty versatile.

I personally like the dip and have the dip but my home is more country/cottage/southern and has a low fence with a dip and finials. Everything painted white.

Last edited by cstleddy; 08-11-2009 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: added

Old 08-11-2009, 07:48 AM

230 posts, read 1,215,183 times
Thanks for all your opinions everybody. I decided on the flat with gothic posts. I'll post a picture when it is complete so you can see how it turned out!

Old 08-11-2009, 08:12 AM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I like them all! But I agree with others that you should match your fencing to the architecture of your house.

Regarding this quote, I'd be cautious about plastic/vinyl fencing. Our neighbors put in a white plastic fence, and it looks just awful now. It has turned green with moss/age/stains, and no amount of their scrubbing will whiten it.
If you use cheap plastic you may get that but a good vinyl fence will last for years. I sold/installed them for years and never had those issues (triple crown) although the cheap stuff at lowes/homedepot didn't last.

Quality always shows in the end. Wood fences look tacky and need much repair/replacement soon after installation. Most I see over 5 years old tend to be eyesores.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:54 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
If you use cheap plastic you may get that but a good vinyl fence will last for years. I sold/installed them for years and never had those issues (triple crown) although the cheap stuff at lowes/homedepot didn't last.

Quality always shows in the end. Wood fences look tacky and need much repair/replacement soon after installation. Most I see over 5 years old tend to be eyesores.
Yep you have to get the quality vinyl. The ones from HomeDepot and the like don't cut it. They can be painted. Driving around town we encountered someone whose vinyl fence had been tagged and later after rescue it looks good as new.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:30 PM

625 posts, read 1,881,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post

There are several vinyl fences in our town and as they age they seem to turn a faint yellowish color. Kinda yukky looking.

Another problem here, but probably not where you are, is in winter if it gets below zero the plastic turns very brittle. The littlest thing will make it break.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:29 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
FYI: the PVC vinyl fences are offered in more colors than just white now.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:36 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,720 times
I like No. 1 and I don't really consider it all that fancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden