Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:01 PM

Location: Rancho Cordova, CA very close to the American River Parkway
8 posts, read 31,109 times

Advertisements

Although I don't usually care for board on board I think this one is very attractive.
If you yard is small and if you truly want privacy I would go with this one. We can see through our privacy fence all to well and and it seems to get worse as it gets older. (Shrinking wood?)
Of the other two I much prefer the arched.
Good point from North Beach though, on which suits the house best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 10:14 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,071,773 times
I would suggest the white plastic type, if you can afford it. It's a lot more expensive than wood but will never need any maintenence, doesn't rot, split or warp and no nail or staple popping, plus it looks a lot better and there's no shrinkage or gaps between the boards for prying eyes. .

Old 08-09-2009, 10:32 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Question that should be asked: which one fits the architecture of the house?
I'm glad you said that....it's exactly what I was thinking!

So the OP needs to post a picture of the house so we can all make our decision.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:33 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,957 times
I like the arched one. Or the one with the dip. I wouldn't go for the straight one, even if it's cheaper. Good luck.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:27 AM

596 posts, read 2,875,958 times
I like the last one as well. When you go to the expense of it all, it seems like a good idea to go with a classic design that isnt going to be "dated" in however many years. But as above, if it doesnt go with the home design, thats another story :-)

Old 08-10-2009, 08:32 AM

230 posts, read 1,215,359 times
Okay, not actual picture obviously but to give you an idea. It is a newer house. Everyone in the neighborhood so far that has a fence has gone with the standard straight-top, board on board style (no gothic posts seen yet). Our HOA does not allow vinyl fencing as one suggested, and our only other option for a privacy fence is the solid-board which typically only has the finished look on one side, which for HOA they make you keep the finished side facing outward.

So, I wanted to add some stylistic element to the fence, and not just have the exact same fence as everyone already in the neighborhood. We can stain/seal the wood fences, but not paint them. Someone recently brought up to me that the straight-top (with capboard running along top) makes it easier for someone to jump the fence, but if someone is going to jump the fence I don't think any of these styles are going to stop them.
Attached Thumbnails
Which privacy fence do you like better? (Pics)-model.jpg  

Old 08-10-2009, 08:58 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,153,431 times
Arch gothic, to echo the curve over the window on the front of the house and the garage door windows. Unless those are straight in the actual house.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:14 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
How handy are you? When the time comes to replace those boards will you do a good job of cutting to match the arch? If you're not handy and won't be paying to have it repaired keep it simple.

Fence #3

Old 08-10-2009, 09:34 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,125,976 times
We had our pool enclosed because we had to and we chose the last one which we were told would be good for a pool. Our fence was 80' by 65' wide. It was in our backyard....We believed it was good to keep the children out and it did but the wild animals just jumped over it like it was something you or I would just step over... The posts were pressure treated and the panels were 8' each wide by 5' high. (shadow box) We moved from the home 8 years after it was installed and it needed a good amount of repairs yearly and when we moved.

Our friend had one installed in his yard while ours was not for asthetic purposes his fence was...The same as our fence except it was all pressure treated and really really heavy....When the fence was built he had a umbrella "V" roof put over the entire length made of cedar. Every so often he had solar lights installed under every 8' of the umbrella style "V" cap to show off his fence.....

My opinion:
For maintenence the fence should not be place on the boarder of properties. You probably need a few feet space towards your neighbor.

This is how our fence looked

http://www.atlantadecking.com/Images/enlarge/439.jpg (broken link)

Another idea
http://www.atlantadecking.com/Images/spacer.gif (broken link)http://www.atlantadecking.com/Images/enlarge/435.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-10-2009, 09:35 AM

625 posts, read 1,881,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
I like the arched one. Or the one with the dip. I wouldn't go for the straight one, even if it's cheaper. Good luck.

It looks 'waaaay' cheap, too. Plus, it's the most common. I like the dipped best, but it gives the least privacy of the 3. Are you looking for TOTAL privacy or just a visual screen. Looking across a yard, the eyes tend to stop at a barrier like a fence. Especially if you have a garden, flowerbed, some shrubs, or a tree or 2, it would be very pretty.

Unless you or the neighbors stand right at the fence with your eye to a space between the boards, the arch or dip would be OK. When you build it, you can also leave almost no space between the boards so after they shrink there would be just a small space.

Like the others said, al lot depends on the house style, tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden