Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 12:10 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

DH is about ready to put his foot down on how much more of the front yard I can make into flower beds so I have claimed that little strip between the sidewalk and the street.
Now I need suggestions for plants which will meet these criteria:

Deer Resistant
Full sun
Only rain water
not too bushy
tolerates poor soil

Now I know about the usual succulents and I figure they are pretty unappetizing to deer. I know about russian sage, correopsis, fragrant flowers and foliage but I don't want any cacti or mints.
Would the usual herbs get past the deer? Any other suggestions? can't use daylillies,cannas too tall. verbenas spill over into sidewalk. I don't want the HOA on my case. I should be able to think of more but I'm not used to the deer problems I have encountered here. I swear they would eat a plastic flower if given half a chance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 12:20 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
I had lots of nasturtiums and some St. John's Wort in that strip but it being CA I had to water everything. Don't know what the deer think of them. I know people can eat them.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:33 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
I am not sure, but I think in most towns and cities, if the city wants to tear it up they can!

Old 07-31-2009, 01:24 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Also remember that the heat will be coming from both the street & the sidewalk
I has a problem growing grass at the corner of the driveway & the street so I put in half circle beds

Towhee brings up a good point that part may actually be considered city easement and it there are cable/phone or gas lines and they need service they will have the right to go in
You might want to consider the 1/2 circle beds like I out in that way you might be able to use taller plantings
I have a combo of black eyed susans & day lilies both do really well in dry poor soil

let me see if I have a picture

This is from last summer

Old 07-31-2009, 01:30 PM

855 posts, read 2,396,669 times
In our area tree lawns are basically city property although I don't know how that works with an HOA. I doubt they have precedent over the city but I'd check to make sure they're okay with you planting there. Some can be picky, I guess.

A lot of people plant in them around here, there are just some restrictions on planting certain trees or shrubs, a list of which can be obtained by request. That's us though.

One thing you might consider mixing in is a low growing evergreen like blue rug juniper. It's deer resistant(Unless they get really, really hungry), low growing and shouldn't take much maintenance once established. With succulents like sedum, you have a variety of upright or spreading types in different sizes and colors.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:26 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
I am not sure, but I think in most towns and cities, if the city wants to tear it up they can!
Yep, the swale is an easement...check w/ the local authorities to make sure you can plant there, what you can plant there...all that. It's yours...but not really.

I think that's a prime spot for shade trees and gardens to match, wish more towns would make use of it...I guess it's just so much easier to rip up the land without any impediments...

I'd like to rip out all the grass from mine and plant roses or something...some day. I have a loooong stretch at the front and side. It does not seem as though we have anyone telling us we can't - most yards have a few shrubs near there or ornate plantings by the mailboxes and streetside utility boxes (normally a no-no).

Old 07-31-2009, 04:40 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times
P.S. Coneflower? Too boring? Thinking, thinking...

Hens and Chicks are tough if you want to go low - also, many varieties of decorative (and edible) Aloe besides what we normally see in the HD. I get a few 'unusual' stock nursey catalogs, even found one to try here that can take a real freeze.

Last edited by 33458; 07-31-2009 at 04:55 PM..

Old 08-01-2009, 09:55 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I know the city can take it but I'm taking my chances. we live in the last house on a dead end road so traffic exhaust is not a major concern. and I would be willing to lug water there to get things started but it is the deer nibbles that I really have to consider.
I have a nice display around the mail box and i'm hoping it can just slowly extend it for the next 100plus feet and nobody will notice. You think?????

I was even thinking of leaving some nicely spaced spots of grass which could be handled with weed eater ( DH ) but when I mow that strip now I'm on a riding lawn mower and I live in fear I'm gonna tumble off the curb. Don't have the upper arm strength to start weed eater and edger and I think flowers would look better and being kinda isolated I don't think too much will be said. neighbors are pleased with my gardening so far so i don't think any one would complain.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:23 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Kudzu, I think it is well worth a try. I just would not put anything there of great value. Grass, groundcovers, and bedding plants, would be my choice.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:38 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
Vincas love heat and humidity, give great blooms without much fuss and will self seed after blooming. I am not sure but deer may not like them either which is a bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden