U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:21 AM

369 posts, read 1,146,716 times

Advertisements

After reading an incredible book called "the Pruning Guide" written in 1912! The best pruning and plant guide I've ever read- leave it to the old school.

So: you let the first year canes grow to 4 feet or so and in that summer (not too late) you head them back to about 3 1/2 feet which will force the lateral side canes to grow out for the remainder of the summer, and is where most of the berries will grow -next summer.

I believe you can still do a light pruning during the winter or early spring if anything gets too long. Another advantage is that heading them back in the first growing year also makes the main cane nice and strong.

I've done a lot of research, online, and in older books but never really found one that explained it this way. Thought I'd share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 11:37 AM

3,750 posts, read 10,203,909 times
While I'm not growing raspberries - I appreciate the heads up about a good pruning guide - we could use one for all our various shrubs/trees that will need some attention!

Old 09-03-2009, 11:50 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,451,204 times
I wish I had known that when I first got my raspberry bushes! But we did cut back a lot last year and got tons of fruit this year so maybe I kind of lucked out and cut back the right way. At least I hope so!

Thanks for the information!

Old 09-04-2009, 02:59 PM

357 posts, read 848,607 times
wonder if this practice applied to Blackberries also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasurf View Post
After reading an incredible book called "the Pruning Guide" written in 1912! The best pruning and plant guide I've ever read- leave it to the old school.

So: you let the first year canes grow to 4 feet or so and in that summer (not too late) you head them back to about 3 1/2 feet which will force the lateral side canes to grow out for the remainder of the summer, and is where most of the berries will grow -next summer.

I believe you can still do a light pruning during the winter or early spring if anything gets too long. Another advantage is that heading them back in the first growing year also makes the main cane nice and strong.

I've done a lot of research, online, and in older books but never really found one that explained it this way. Thought I'd share.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:03 PM

13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
Can you check your book for pruning apricot trees? I live in southern CA, and have a fairly mature tree, but it hasn't been pruned for years and the productivity is waning because of it.

I am delighted about the raspberry advice, as I plan to add to our garden next spring! The guy at Home Depot garden dept told me to come in April, that's the only time they get them and they sell out fast.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:42 PM

Ok, I see the book actually has some info specific to California fruit trees, so I'm will look it over and get back.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:13 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,481,170 times
my raspberry bush stopped producing raspberries even though i prune it. maybe i prune it the wrong time of year. weird thing is years ago, several pricker bushes started growing around it. so now i dont know which is which.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:19 AM

Lots of apricot info: Apricots bear fruit on new and old growth, and are treated much as plums and peaches in terms of pruning. In general, if the overall tree is doing poorly, it will benefit from heavy pruning. If overall growth is good, will benefit from pruning 1/3 to 1/4 of new growth (heading back the tips, keeping the plant in check, thinning out interior branches), annually. This is done in winter or early spring, during the dormant season.

Now here's what it writes about California: "in the great interior valley section of California, it is customary to prune all trees except almonds and walnuts, very heavily late in winter. With peach, apricot, and plum trees all of the new growth is cut off, except stubs, 6-12 inches long".

This is from "the Pruning Manual" written by L.H. Bailey, 1898. The Dean of American Horticulture, founder of agricultural extension in America, and founder of Cornell's Horticulture program.

And btw, blackberries can be treated just like raspberries. Good luck.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:47 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,633,860 times
Here's what I noticed with my berry bushes. If I did a good job of picking all the berries one summer, they would produce more and better fruit the next year.

When I sold the house the new occupants didn't pick and they got no fruit at all the next year and none after that either.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:53 AM

13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasurf View Post
Lots of apricot info: Apricots bear fruit on new and old growth, and are treated much as plums and peaches in terms of pruning. In general, if the overall tree is doing poorly, it will benefit from heavy pruning. If overall growth is good, will benefit from pruning 1/3 to 1/4 of new growth (heading back the tips, keeping the plant in check, thinning out interior branches), annually. This is done in winter or early spring, during the dormant season.

Now here's what it writes about California: "in the great interior valley section of California, it is customary to prune all trees except almonds and walnuts, very heavily late in winter. With peach, apricot, and plum trees all of the new growth is cut off, except stubs, 6-12 inches long".

This is from "the Pruning Manual" written by L.H. Bailey, 1898. The Dean of American Horticulture, founder of agricultural extension in America, and founder of Cornell's Horticulture program.

And btw, blackberries can be treated just like raspberries. Good luck.
This is great info - I tried to rep but I can't yet. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or