Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 10:15 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,326 times

Advertisements

We've been lucky. We had had plenty of red Tom's. I usually pick 2-3 dozen an evening.
Funny though...several people I know, said they had nice big green Tom's & they haven't rippened, either. Yet ours did. WEIRD...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 08:53 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
So allowing the plants to get droopy might speed up ripening? At what point do I water them again?
Tomatoes like a continuous routine of being well watered, like a good drenching once a week, it tells them to sink deep roots, and it tells the larger fruit to ripen. Once a week watering should still grow new tomatoes while ripening the ones that grown larger. Of course the amount of water you give them depends on the soil and the humidity in the air. Just pick a routine and stick with it, and lean towards less not more, at first. <shrug>

Over watering is not good for them, and if you back off on the watering and the fruit starts to grow that thicker skin and ripen, then switch back to watering them too much again, the plant will tell the already ripening fruit to start growing again and you get those splits in your tomatoes.

If it is late in the year, and you know the frost is coming, you can uproot the plant and stick in the garage, where it won't freeze, and the tomatoes already on the vine will ripen over the next few weeks. You may even get tomatoes way into November, like a friend of mine did

Old 09-09-2009, 09:17 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
We came back from a long weekend and Bam! Late blight hit what was left of our tomato plants. I was hoping to get some of the last ones to ripen over the next 2 weeks. They really went downhill all of a sudden. So we ripped out all of them, even ones that still seemed okay. The neighbors had it earlier and I guess it spread finally. But its been dry the last week and I thought we were safe.
Our plan is to put a good layer of lime on the bed after we get all the plant material out. Will that help kill the blight? I was told that a deep frost will kill it, is that right?

Old 09-09-2009, 07:59 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
We came back from a long weekend and Bam! Late blight hit what was left of our tomato plants. I was hoping to get some of the last ones to ripen over the next 2 weeks. They really went downhill all of a sudden. So we ripped out all of them, even ones that still seemed okay. The neighbors had it earlier and I guess it spread finally. But its been dry the last week and I thought we were safe.
Our plan is to put a good layer of lime on the bed after we get all the plant material out. Will that help kill the blight? I was told that a deep frost will kill it, is that right?
How to Treat Tomato Blight - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Old 09-10-2009, 08:58 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,161 times
Well, several seemingly ripening tomatoes have appeared on my plants. Three down, about 50 to go!

Old 09-11-2009, 04:16 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times
Good for you. Thanks for getting back to us.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:10 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Mine as well..was able to get a few tasty ones before the blight set in

Old 09-14-2009, 05:27 PM

288 posts, read 851,349 times
The summer stayed cold for a long time, so some things didn't get as far as fast as they should have. I like to plant more than one variety of tomato in case some do better in a given year's weather than others, and at least that way I'll have something to harvest.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:36 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,161 times
Well, I've harvested five, count 'em, five tomatoes off of my plants with a large number still in the process of ripening--so what happens?

It snowed.

Yep, first day of fall and here in Wyoming--land of bizarro weather--it snows...it didn't stick, but it snowed for several hours. I covered them but it hasn't risen above 45 since Sunday.

Is this the end of my poor tomatoes?

Old 09-22-2009, 07:58 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Well, I've harvested five, count 'em, five tomatoes off of my plants with a large number still in the process of ripening--so what happens?

It snowed.

Yep, first day of fall and here in Wyoming--land of bizarro weather--it snows...it didn't stick, but it snowed for several hours. I covered them but it hasn't risen above 45 since Sunday.

Is this the end of my poor tomatoes?
I think this was mentioned earlier, pick them, put them in paper bags or wrap in newspaper and put them in the house somewhere. We do this every year. It will take a couple of weeks, they will all ripen and you will have enought to last for quite awhile.

NIta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden