Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 10:22 AM

523 posts, read 3,796,952 times

Advertisements

yesterday evening, while walking around our land, i found a dismembered deer leg (taken off at the shoulder). i didnt look too hard, but couldnt find the rest of the deer. there are no dogs around here, so presume this had to be the work of a coyote...rather alarming given that it was less than 100 metres from the house, and i have two children under 3 yrs.

ive never actually seen a coyote, but have only been in the area for a few months, and know that apparently both coyotes and bears are not uncommon in the area.

is there anything i can/should do about this?

i should add that i found this in our field, which is left almost entirely unmanaged, and has more or less reverted to meadow, with waist-high grass...i recently cut a number of paths through the grass so my wife and i could walk through there with the children and avoid getting ticks, but i wonder if i have created the perfect deer-ambush channel for predators who can lurk in the long grass and pounce out at the appropriate time

Last edited by kronenborg; 10-14-2009 at 10:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 12:35 PM

6,403 posts, read 7,600,115 times
In San Jose we used to have mourning doves, robins, finches and more but over the past fifteen years they are almost gone and have been replaced by hawks and many black birds but opossum, squirels and racoons are plentiful. Sometimes, the coyotes come into the neighborhoods and kill family pets.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:18 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,319,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post

I DO hate squirrels; they are like furry-tailed rats to me. They eat any and everything and are very destructive. They do, however, taste very good, especially cut up, fried and cooked in milk gravy over biscuits for breakfast. Deer meat is excellent; I make sausage and jerky but the ribs and steaks are good too.

"There's room for all God's creatures - right next to the mashed potatoes"
LOL LOLLLL So relieved I'm not the only "Hater" in the forum. I hate bunnies. I think they're better as side-dishes. I was soo happy to see a fox a few weeks ago...hoping it would eat the bunny nibbling on my perennials.

Sadly, the bunny is still alive. I also dislike groundhogs and deer. And if the squirrels dig up one more plant...grrr. Sorry, animal lovers...I love my garden more. I DO love hawks and owls, though.

For the coyote person I would think keep an eye on the kids and teach them how to shoot...maybe an air rifle (?) when they're older? IMO you're lucky to have predators to keep the deer under control. They're running amok in MD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden