Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 10:42 AM

184 posts, read 802,178 times

Advertisements

We just installed gutters/downspouts and due to the slope of this area in between both downspouts, we now have a rain runoff and erosion problem. see pics

Looking for longterm economical and green friendly solutions that would be easily maintainable even for a renter. We do employ lawn cutter service and he suggested putting down tarp and mulch and using "Pi-rocks" as a border to catch the runoff.

Curious, would 'gutter diverter' plastic tubes do the trick if they were positioned off into the grass areas on either side? or will cause more problems?

Any suggestions or websites would be very helpful. Rainbarrels might be an interesting answer, but not sure I like them on the front face of my home.

Food for thought? thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Gutter runoff/erosion problem-picture-195.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 10:51 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,691,784 times
The only thing I can think of is to "go with the flow", so to speak, and plant a bog garden! (Also called "rain garden".)

Build a Downspout Bog Garden : Planet Green

Downspout Bog Garden - Natural Life Magazine - frugal, green family living

Old 09-15-2009, 12:05 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,496,294 times
Look in to putting that plastic flex piping from the gutter into the ground in a long run with the holes is the pipe and the cloth sleeve with a gravel base surroun ing the pipe. Either that or run it to a drain with the same type pipe without the holes underground.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:45 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,691,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Look in to putting that plastic flex piping from the gutter into the ground in a long run with the holes is the pipe and the cloth sleeve with a gravel base surroun ing the pipe.
If you want to explore this option, I believe it's called a "French drain".

Old 09-15-2009, 01:08 PM

13,608 posts, read 20,661,532 times
Its hard to tell how much lawn space there is on either side, but I am inclinded to believe that using those plastic drain tubes that attach to the ends of the downspouts and directing the water to the lawn would work. That would be the easiest way.

The French drain idea, as stated, is worth looking into as are lining the garden bed with rocks.

If you are feeling ambitious, you could construct a dry well. Basically you dig a deep hole and place an oil drum full of rocks in it. Then you attach it to the downspout with the tubes.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:43 PM

HI All
Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions! Right now, I went to HD and got some of the diverter piping, so i'm gonna see how that works. Of all days for it NOT to rain.. go figure... but in the meantime, i'll look up some of your suggestions as well!

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2009, 12:24 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,683,924 times
Rain garden.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:45 AM

1,765 posts, read 7,303,981 times
You could always look into a system to catch the water and use it later.

Our long-term plan is to do just that. Systems vary from pre-designed plastic tanks intalled by the user with gravity doing the work to drain out through a hose to complex underground tanks with electric pumps.

But yeah, we had a similar problem on a new lot and I've used rain rocks and downspout extensions to move the water away without too much trouble.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
I've used rain rocks and downspout extensions to move the water away without too much trouble.
Thanks.. Question: is there an actual product called " rain rocks "?

Skysz...

Old 09-18-2009, 08:10 AM

1,765 posts, read 7,303,981 times
well no. i think the bags said "water rocks" on them
it's just gravel as far as i know, maybe they choose a specific type for the product

i also went and fetched some larger stones (i live in a limestone area in the TN valley) for an area where water pours off the roof without a gutter or downspout

so the water hits the larger rocks then drains down a short path made by the water rocks i purchased (at Lowes) and away from the foundation.

at the down spouts, we have the plastic things on the ground, then a mixture of larger and smaller rocks to break up the flow but keep it moving away from the house

not too scientific, i know, last winter the rain was digging little ditches all around the house and washing away all the grass seeds. now it's working out ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden