U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 06:26 AM

2,726 posts, read 4,363,106 times

Advertisements

My husband is really annoyed with me because he planted some herbs (rosemary, basil, oregano) out in the yard but I won't eat them. Mainly because our lawn people put out fertilizer and our pest guys spray poison around the perimeter of the house. He says that I am being paranoid but, come on, not eating this stuff seems like common sense. Anyway, I want to grow them in pots but they grow so slowly that we end up using them in about a month.

Would one really big pot have the same effect as growing in the ground? Though I am not sure where to find one. Maybe we can build one but I don't think I have the crafty skills for that. I can always find out.

Another thing, we live in South Florida and have had a difficult time growing thyme. Is it too hot? We have tried moving it indoors but it still doesn't do well. It might be the pot issue again.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 07:37 AM

69,258 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisanmos View Post
My husband is really annoyed with me because he planted some herbs (rosemary, basil, oregano) out in the yard but I won't eat them. Mainly because our lawn people put out fertilizer and our pest guys spray poison around the perimeter of the house. He says that I am being paranoid but, come on, not eating this stuff seems like common sense. Anyway, I want to grow them in pots but they grow so slowly that we end up using them in about a month.

Would one really big pot have the same effect as growing in the ground? Though I am not sure where to find one. Maybe we can build one but I don't think I have the crafty skills for that. I can always find out.

Another thing, we live in South Florida and have had a difficult time growing thyme. Is it too hot? We have tried moving it indoors but it still doesn't do well. It might be the pot issue again.
I happen to agree with your husband, just wash everything. That being said, you should be able to easily grow most herbs in large pots. Will they grow faster than in smaller pots I have no idea.

NIta

ps btw; you won't use the herbs you grow but do you ever buy packaged herbs in the produce dept? If you do, don't you think they have come in contact with some chemicals? Oh, did I just scare you into not buying them anymore?

Nita

Old 09-24-2009, 08:01 AM

357 posts, read 848,419 times
If they are your people, why not ask them to stop using those poison stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisanmos View Post

Old 09-24-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabanaki View Post
If they are your people, why not ask them to stop using those poison stuff.
It is for pests mainly ants and it does seem to have helped. Also, we have an association and they hire their people who change frequently.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I happen to agree with your husband, just wash everything. That being said, you should be able to easily grow most herbs in large pots. Will they grow faster than in smaller pots I have no idea.

NIta

ps btw; you won't use the herbs you grow but do you ever buy packaged herbs in the produce dept? If you do, don't you think they have come in contact with some chemicals? Oh, did I just scare you into not buying them anymore?

Nita
Actually, no you have not scared me from buying store herbs anymore. They are "organic" and since they sell at the store, I am assuming they looked into the types of chemicals they use when growing plants. I haven't necessarily bought into the whole "organic" craze but I would think people growing plants for the sole purpose of eating would put more care into what they put in the dirt than my lawn maintenance people who are just here to cut grass.
Thanks anyway.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:16 PM

2,638 posts, read 10,493,004 times
Have you tried growing the thyme from fall to spring? Many vegetables and herbs can not survive the relentless heat of a Florida summer. I am growing some thyme indoors in an eastern facing window and it seems to do pretty well although it is a bit water hungry for my tastes.

For what it's worth, I agree with you on the pesticide issue unless they are using pesticides that are specifically approved for food harvests.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:29 PM

64 posts, read 284,678 times
Try growing the herbs in pots in dappled light and also elevate them. Under a tree is good, where they'll get strong light and shifting sunlight. A place with only morning sun is also good. Elevate them on something like two bricks placed side by side, with a space between them. That way, the hole in the bottom of the pot will drain freely, plus there will be more air movement around the pot.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:38 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,607,252 times
I live in central Florida, and grow all my herbs in pots, due to nematoad problems in the soil.
You will want to use a larger pot to allow for growth, your herbs should do well in all but the hottest weather, I have already planted my fall crop of herbs and salad greens, as well as a fall veggie garden, so far so good!

Old 01-24-2015, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,678 times
I find that the tender herbs like young dill, thyme and cilantro can be tricky. Seems the leaves near the soil turn brown and then the whole plant struggles. After reading some blogs I'm wondering if the soil is too wet. I water from the bottom and that helps, but still most don't flourish. Except, that is, for my rosemary. Here in southwest Florida it grows like a shrub for me. Any ideas on helping young tender herbs to grow large and healthy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden