U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-29-2009, 08:32 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,182,602 times
Default What's a good Playground Mulch/Fill for Kids AND Pets?

I'm thinking about tearing up my backyard's grass sod & building a nice play area for my little girl. Since most of (if not all) the grass will be removed, I not only need a materiel that provides safety (in the case of the inevitable fall), but also one that is pet friendly to where my 2 small dogs wouldn't mind using it to do their business in. Would also be a nice plus if it made for easy cleanup after them as well.

What would you guys recommend?? Thanks.

P.S. This is in Florida, if that plays a role in selection. Also, play area has an in-ground pool around it as well that's off to one side of the yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 01:03 PM

7,397 posts, read 10,426,364 times
A good many of the playgrounds I bring Moth Jr to are covered with wood chips. So was my elementary school back in the day.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:40 AM

1,764 posts, read 4,428,109 times
A while back, there was much being shipped in from south america that had some type of plant mixed in that was making dogs have health problems. While there was some truth to this, it kind of turned into a big urban "fear teh mulch" legend.

I only say that to say this, most dogs eat mulch chips or chew on it. Knowing that, you may want to get the standard but more expensive shredded cedar for something like that. Cedar is said to keep the bugs down, and dogs will do business on it, but I've never seen them chowing down on it (like they do with the pine mulch that's so common in the south.)

As a kid, my playgrounds were hard clay and or blacktop -- nothing like adding a little danger to the monkey bars.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:33 PM

187 posts, read 302,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
A while back, there was much being shipped in from south america that had some type of plant mixed in that was making dogs have health problems. While there was some truth to this, it kind of turned into a big urban "fear teh mulch" legend.

I only say that to say this, most dogs eat mulch chips or chew on it. Knowing that, you may want to get the standard but more expensive shredded cedar for something like that. Cedar is said to keep the bugs down, and dogs will do business on it, but I've never seen them chowing down on it (like they do with the pine mulch that's so common in the south.)

As a kid, my playgrounds were hard clay and or blacktop -- nothing like adding a little danger to the monkey bars.
It was mulch made from cocoa shells. Chocolate is poison to dogs so it makes sense the mulch would make them sick. I tend to buy mulch local, less expensive when trucked in bulk and no trouble with the dogs.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:53 PM

357 posts, read 527,825 times
green lawn is the best surface for playground, if your lawn have a good 2-3" of sand and top soil not coral rock underneath.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:18 PM

17,574 posts, read 16,361,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
I'm thinking about tearing up my backyard's grass sod & building a nice play area for my little girl. Since most of (if not all) the grass will be removed, I not only need a materiel that provides safety (in the case of the inevitable fall), but also one that is pet friendly to where my 2 small dogs wouldn't mind using it to do their business in. Would also be a nice plus if it made for easy cleanup after them as well.

What would you guys recommend?? Thanks.

P.S. This is in Florida, if that plays a role in selection. Also, play area has an in-ground pool around it as well that's off to one side of the yard.
We have something called "playground mulch" available here. It was what I used to place under and around our trampoline. It was perfect. Also agree with the rubber mulch, though that wouldn't be good for a dog poo. Not sure I'd want the kids playing in there with that anyway!!!

Old 10-15-2009, 07:15 AM

16,188 posts, read 14,871,664 times
The rubber mulch is incredibly expensive, but is being used in a lot of municipal playgrounds.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 12,971 times
Rubber Mulch is more expensive, but only at first. You have to re-apply wood mulch on a yearly basis as it decomposes and gets worn down/blown away. Rubber Mulch can sit for 5-10 years on a single application. You'll actually save money in the long run. Plus, for a playground, it is softer and safer.

Here is a link to a site I found with a ton of information about the merits of Rubber Mulch for Playgrounds - http://www.pinnaclerubbermulch.com/rubber_mulch_playgrounds_why.html

It also has a lot of safety information from the EPA and other similar organizations - http://www.pinnaclerubbermulch.com/rubber_mulch_is_safer.html

Good Luck!

Mike Bentley

Old 08-25-2010, 08:34 PM

31 posts, read 63,359 times
I've always liked the cedar mulch. I like the way it looks and smells, and it's pretty soft compared to other mulch blends. The one thing I don't like about it though, the neighborhood cats seem to like to use it as a litter box.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:38 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,388,136 times
We use recycled tires. The dogs aren't interested in eating it like they would with the Cocoa Mulch or Wood Mulch. It lasts a lot longer and provides cushioning for the children. The only downfall is that it absorbs heat in my opinion. Some disagree but I guess kids shouldn't be playing outside when it is 100 degrees outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden