Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2007, 09:03 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,514,278 times

Advertisements

I bought alot this time- and am determined to get them to stay alive! I havent overwatered but they are a little wilted by the petals- any secrets/ should I use different potting soil? I have seen special potting soil and already bought the liquid drops- do they help?

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 11:13 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,268,091 times
Lowe's sells potting soil that is specifically designed for African Violets, as well as liquid Miracle-Gro food for these pretty flowers.

Have you tried either or both of these yet? Give them a shot.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:14 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,018,391 times
sunny
sent you some info in a pm

karla

Old 05-11-2007, 05:38 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,212,068 times
Sunny, I do all the wrong things and mine survive and proliferate and eventually take over entire rooms.....I have hot, bright filtered western sun on them (filtered through sheers over the windows - they are on a baker's rack in front of a window). Make sure they are in a pot where they can absorb water from the roots, but not in standing water. You can even sit the pot in some lukewarm water in the sink for about 30 minutes from time to time.....I doubt I water mine more than once a week. Also, some pots, like clay, tend to make the leaves shrivel if the clay actually touches the leaf....use a glazed pot. There are even pots specifically for violets that have a reservoir that feeds water to the roots very slowly. I have to admit - my mother grew African violets in everything known to mankind and it didn't seem to matter, although none of her "pots" were glazed - she picked up interesting glass bowls at flea markets and plopped one in and it grew, and that was way back before special foods and special dirt. Hers were also on the west side of the house and got the afternoon sun through sheers - maybe there's something to that...

I don't know what to tell you - my best friend does everything I tell her and her conditions are almost identical - and if hers survive more than a couple of months we call it a success....

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-11-2007 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: not a good explanation on pots

Old 05-16-2007, 02:38 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,199,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
I bought alot this time- and am determined to get them to stay alive! I havent overwatered but they are a little wilted by the petals- any secrets/ should I use different potting soil? I have seen special potting soil and already bought the liquid drops- do they help?

sunny
they like to be watered from the bottom they don't like their leaves to be wet

I don't know if you are doing this but it is a start
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden