U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-09-2011, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,825 times

Advertisements

i use vinegar and it kills weeds in a few hours and keeps for about a month. more env. friendly than round up and perhaps cheaper. about $3 a gallon
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 08:56 PM

7,089 posts, read 8,492,346 times
What's the best way to permanently kill grass and weeds?

Napalm.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:14 PM

984 posts, read 1,247,967 times
Although this is an old thread, I think it's very informative and got me thinking. Isn't there some trees that when planted nothing grows underneath. Maybe that's what we should do, plant more trees to get rid of grass and weeds.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:58 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,573,931 times
Happehart, you're such a darling.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:11 PM

984 posts, read 1,247,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Happehart, you're such a darling.
I try

Old 07-09-2011, 10:19 PM

3,089 posts, read 3,035,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Thanks for both responses. We poured the Roundup 6 months ago but it came back. It would be too much work to do the cardboard mulch.

Roundup (active ingredient glysophate) needs to be applied according to the package directions to work properly. It is absorbed by the green growing foliage. Pouring it on the ground will have no effect. It is possible to mix it stronger than recommended, or even to use the concentrate straight from the bottle (painted on a newly cut tree stump, for instance, will keep the roots from resprouting). Other tips to maximize effectiveness are to use a bit of water soluble fertilizer with the product, and a touch of dish soap. . . . .the fertilizer speeds the uptake of the chemical, the soap will help to break down protective barriers that some plant leaves have.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:13 AM

50,031 posts, read 42,368,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I've poured bleach on them,sprayed with Roundup and poured bags of salt. They still survive. The city wants to fine me.

Its not near any environmentally sensitive area - they just need to be dead.
Move your yard to NWA with all our summer heat this year. It will be dead in no time.

Seriously, we have found the only way to control the weeds and grass is to use Round Up or something similar and re-spray every few months. This year I have the opposite problem in my produce garden. I have to keep it watered if we want to eat tomatoes, pepppers, etc but the more we water the more the grass is growning. I am not happy about this at all and now it is too hot to pull the weeds and grass out each day.

Nita

Old 07-27-2013, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,463 times
Default Salt Salt Salt!!

Salt the land,,,,,,,,and NOTHING will grow. Read your History books!

Old 07-27-2013, 03:40 PM

7,741 posts, read 10,854,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
Although this is an old thread, I think it's very informative and got me thinking. Isn't there some trees that when planted nothing grows underneath. Maybe that's what we should do, plant more trees to get rid of grass and weeds.

Very little grows beneath Black Walnut trees

Old 07-27-2013, 03:46 PM

3,791 posts, read 1,784,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Very little grows beneath Black Walnut trees
Coniferous trees such as spruce and pine seem to work well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden