U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 02:59 PM

4,644 posts, read 3,562,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 646jude View Post
i use vinegar and it kills weeds in a few hours and keeps for about a month. more env. friendly than round up and perhaps cheaper. about $3 a gallon
Good to know.

===

I am sure that the bees in their pollination efforts and ultimately us (Humans that rely on food crops that are not toxin-ladened) would appreciate an environmentally sound way of controlling unwanted plant species.
Honey Bee Collapse: A Lesson in Ecology | Greenpeace International

Of course, there is the old fashioned way - pulling or digging up unwanted plant species.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 05:54 PM

13,265 posts, read 29,847,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Good to know.

===

I am sure that the bees in their pollination efforts and ultimately us (Humans that rely on food crops that are not toxin-ladened) would appreciate an environmentally sound way of controlling unwanted plant species.
Honey Bee Collapse: A Lesson in Ecology | Greenpeace International

Of course, there is the old fashioned way - pulling or digging up unwanted plant species.
Yes, pulling up weeds manually is great - for people who want to get rid of weeds near their house, because there's no inconvenience in stepping outside your back door and walking a few yards to the garden.

The OP (who posted 4 years ago) was looking to solve a problem with a vacant piece of property he owns in a city other than where he lives.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:43 PM
Status: "Our country is going to hell in a hand basket!" (set 19 days ago)

35,604 posts, read 34,465,321 times
vinegar does not kill weeds. It may kill the top growth but it does not kill the roots, which is obvious when the poster says it comes back in a month. We went through this just recently in another thread.
If it was as easy as pouring vinegar or boiling water or salt on weeds to kill them then Round Up would not be selling like it is making Monsanto people rich.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:11 PM

5 posts, read 15,458 times
I have been lead to believe that round-up is harmful to the environment and my organic gardens. My weeds have turned into grass of the unwanted kind. My walk-way has turned into a grass walkway that I can cut with my lawnmower. I have tried many environmently friendly remedies and while they brown up the grass they do not kill it. I have purchased 40-lbs. of pool salt,my thinking that they might wipe out the unwanted grass. What say you? Thanks for any help. SouthernPatriot1776

Old 07-28-2013, 10:03 PM

2,005 posts, read 4,805,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Why I want to kill weeds. The lot is in an area I don't visit often,yet its barely worth keeping however the city its in will fine and make me pay huge fees if they mow it.

What about cementing over the cracks? I will have other area to deal with though.
OP I think people are confused because you didn't specify that it was a vacant lot. I can see where it could get expensive to spray weed killer or put down cardboard & mulch if the lot is big.

Have you checked on paying one of the neighbors to cut it. If they don't want a weed patch next door they just might go for it.

Another idea would be to offer to lease it cheap as a vegetable garden space.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:37 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,462,872 times
If you want to permanently kill your grass and weeds, all you need to do is pour gasoline on it.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:25 PM

6,683 posts, read 11,055,690 times
For small areas or select weeds, boil water and pour over plant. This works flawlessly and does not leave any poisons in your soil.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:57 PM

588 posts, read 973,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
If you want to permanently kill your grass and weeds, all you need to do is pour gasoline on it.
Please don't do this! Pouring gasoline into the soil affects the entire watershed, as well as all the plants and animals around the location. Gasoline is NOT something we should intentionally pour into our earth.

One of the best ways to permanently kill grass and weeds is "soil solarization." It takes a while (6-8 weeks), but will kill the grass and weeds. Soil Solarization for Gardens & Landscapes Management Guidelines--UC IPM Soil solarization: A chemical-free way to get rid of weeds and unwanted grass - CSMonitor.com
An added benefit is that pests are killed in the process, as well. Beneficial critters, such as earthworms, will just move to another location.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:59 PM

588 posts, read 973,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernpatriot1776 View Post
I have been lead to believe that round-up is harmful to the environment and my organic gardens. My weeds have turned into grass of the unwanted kind. My walk-way has turned into a grass walkway that I can cut with my lawnmower. I have tried many environmently friendly remedies and while they brown up the grass they do not kill it. I have purchased 40-lbs. of pool salt,my thinking that they might wipe out the unwanted grass. What say you? Thanks for any help. SouthernPatriot1776

Salt will kill desirable plants in the area, as well.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:26 AM

61,666 posts, read 66,702,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Have you tried the newspaper or cardboard and mulch? This was discussed in another thread, let me find it for you:

Cardboard then Mulch, ever done it?
even that will not permanently kill the weeds. We have used it in our veggie garden. It does a fairly good job for a year or so, but then the weeds or grass will come back. I don't think there is any way to totally kills weeds and grass for ever, maybe for a few months though. Even chemicals will not do the job forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden