U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:31 AM

62,004 posts, read 67,827,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernpatriot1776 View Post
I have been lead to believe that round-up is harmful to the environment and my organic gardens. My weeds have turned into grass of the unwanted kind. My walk-way has turned into a grass walkway that I can cut with my lawnmower. I have tried many environmently friendly remedies and while they brown up the grass they do not kill it. I have purchased 40-lbs. of pool salt,my thinking that they might wipe out the unwanted grass. What say you? Thanks for any help. SouthernPatriot1776
round-up will kill your weeds but not forever and yes, it isn't the best solution. That being said, there comes a time when we use what we have to use. I would never use anything like Round-up in my veggie garden but I could care less about the walk way and the rock garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 08:14 PM

3,339 posts, read 6,129,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernpatriot1776 View Post
I have been lead to believe that round-up is harmful to the environment and my organic gardens. My weeds have turned into grass of the unwanted kind. My walk-way has turned into a grass walkway that I can cut with my lawnmower. I have tried many environmently friendly remedies and while they brown up the grass they do not kill it. I have purchased 40-lbs. of pool salt,my thinking that they might wipe out the unwanted grass. What say you? Thanks for any help. SouthernPatriot1776
Any kind of salt will destroy the soil and harm the environment a thousand times worse than Roundup, which breaks down and literally goes away within 4-6 weeks. Salt -- that hangs around. Good luck flushing it from your soil any time in your lifetime. Never ever ever put salt on the ground.

Roundup is not harmful to the environment. It is harmful to the plants it contacts, period. Used correctly, of course.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
If you want to permanently kill your grass and weeds, all you need to do is pour gasoline on it.
Yes, and wouldn't THAT be preferable to all those nasty chemicals that are killing the environment!!
Are you serious? Gasoline? Sometimes I am almost stunned into silence by the idiocy I read here.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:18 PM

Seriously, the lengths people will go to, the pollutants they will pour on the ground -- just to avoid using an herbicide that is proven to biodegrade within six weeks. Do some of you even KNOW what the word "biodegrade" means?

No, I thought not.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:24 PM

43,012 posts, read 79,330,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
What's the best way to permanently kill grass and weeds?
Dog pee.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Dog pee.
Funny enough, the two dogs we have now don't burn the grass with their pee. Same grass, same weather conditions, no burn. The only differences are the dogs and their diet. These are fed kibble. The other two ate a homecooked diet.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:54 AM
Status: "Have you ever seen so many Indians? - G.A. Custer" (set 28 days ago)

16,812 posts, read 16,206,932 times
Try playing really loud music 24 hours a day, it won't do anything about the weeds but the city will likely ignore those and pester you about something else.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,138 times
Round up trust me doues not work yes it will kill the weed for a while maybe 6 mounths but Orth is the best @least it works for a Year I use it ever year.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:59 AM

4,852 posts, read 4,922,845 times
RoundUp, to be fair, only reliably kills weeds when they are small. The ground is full of weed seeds, so every year there are multiple crops of weeds that emerge and each 'crop' would need to be treated separately.

If you can find it, there is a product called Sahara that will control weeds for 6+ months at a time. However, bare ground is subject to two problems, erosion and being a heat sink. Erosion can be either by the wind leading to dust or by water leading to soil washing away. If you could, you would be better off mowing the weeds down just like you do grass. It would hold the soil in place and shade the ground keeping it slightly cooler in the summer.

oops, just notice this is an old thread--the answers may be useful for new readers, though

Old 09-04-2014, 07:15 PM

956 posts, read 3,182,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 646jude View Post
i use vinegar and it kills weeds in a few hours and keeps for about a month. more env. friendly than round up and perhaps cheaper. about $3 a gallon

Sorry, but vinegar is not more environmentally friendly than Round Up. Not sure where you got that information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden