U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 02:44 PM

3,339 posts, read 6,129,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
Sorry, but vinegar is not more environmentally friendly than Round Up. Not sure where you got that information.
I have been telling people not to use vinegar on weeds for a long time. I agree with you.

But that said, I thought I would give a good strong vinegar solution a try on the drainage ditches on either side of our driveway at the street. I"ve used vinegar before, an industrial version, and had poor results. If the vinegar destroyed the soil under the limestone rocks in the ditches, that's fine. We don't want anything growing up through the rocks.

I drenched all the weeds in vinegar. Most were grassy weeds and there was some spurge. I did it on a mild day with no wind, ten days ago.

What a collosal waste of time and good strong vinegar. I mowed out at the street today and could hear the weeds LAUGHING at me. I'll be hitting it all with Roundup tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 04:41 PM

8,571 posts, read 11,385,750 times
You can buy Round-Up in its concentrate form for about $20 and there is a measuring cup with it. A much better bang for the buck than buying Round-Up in the gallon container with the weak sprayer for $22 or so. Be careful though, Round Up will kill the grass too.

With the concentrate you can make it stronger in a garden sprayer which holds about 4 gallons or more. Landscaper told me that is what he does. Use 1.5 cups. But weeds are a never ending issue; and I don't like adding Round Up to the soil either, but it works like a charm. Little by little I am putting in more ground cover, not more grass.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,780 times
Default Sterilizing your driveway/Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I've poured bleach on them,sprayed with Roundup and poured bags of salt. They still survive. The city wants to fine me.

Its not near any environmentally sensitive area - they just need to be dead.
Check with Tex ag (probably A+M runs it) to ensure these chems are labeled in Tex.
Imazapyr (Polaris) @ 3pints per acre (In a hand held sprayer use .6oz/gallon
Oryzalin (Surfaln) @ 4qts/acre (In a hand held sprayer 2oz/gallon)
Glyphosate (Round up) @ 5% solution/tank (Use 6 oz/gallon in hand held sprayer)

Do not spray within 6" of vegetation you want along edge of drive. The Imazapyr will creep out a little.
Do not spray under the dripline of any trees/bushes you want. You'll have to just use Glyphosate and Surflan in those areas, without any Imazapyr.

Imazapry is a sterilent, but will not keep some very tough weeds from regrowing from seed/rhizome over time.
Surflan is a powerful pre-emergent and will keep all clear for 4-6months
Round Up is good for immediate burn down, and tho' it will kill all green leaves it touches, it will not persist.

re-treatment is necessary to really keep things clean. But, after 2-3 treatmments you'll have almost nothing to worry about, and can hit anything that does emerge with round up.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:33 AM

23,348 posts, read 33,457,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
Please don't do this! Pouring gasoline into the soil affects the entire watershed, as well as all the plants and animals around the location. Gasoline is NOT something we should intentionally pour into our earth.

One of the best ways to permanently kill grass and weeds is "soil solarization." It takes a while (6-8 weeks), but will kill the grass and weeds. Soil Solarization for Gardens & Landscapes Management Guidelines--UC IPM Soil solarization: A chemical-free way to get rid of weeds and unwanted grass - CSMonitor.com
An added benefit is that pests are killed in the process, as well. Beneficial critters, such as earthworms, will just move to another location.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!!

And yes, I know this an old thread, but you never know when someone might read it.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:57 AM

3,339 posts, read 6,129,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I've poured bleach on them,sprayed with Roundup and poured bags of salt. They still survive. The city wants to fine me.

Its not near any environmentally sensitive area - they just need to be dead.
Whether or not it's an environmentally sensitive area (whatever that means -- it's part of the earth, isn't it?), never EVER pour bleach on the ground. And for anyone considering pouring gasoline on the ground, that's even worse.

Salt? NO. NO NO.

The city should fine you. Not for the weeds, but for what you're polluting the ground with.

And if you sprayed Roundup on most weeds or other plants, they would be dead in a week if you applied it correctly. They need to be actively growing, not flowering (ideally), not going dormant.

It sickens me to see the cr$p people apply to weeds. Roundup is the safest thing of all the things you mentioned in your post.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,780 times
Round up (Glyphosate) is NOT active in the soil. It is a contact killer. In fact, you can reseed most vegetation at the same time you spray round up.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,133 times
I'm looking for something to kill the weeds in my driveway for good, haven't found anything to do it yet! They all seem to just kill the top and then it comes back! There has got to be something that will kill it for good! Will straight gas or whatever do it?

Old 02-15-2016, 05:38 AM
Status: "Have you ever seen so many Indians? - G.A. Custer" (set 28 days ago)

16,812 posts, read 16,206,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony walker View Post
I'm looking for something to kill the weeds in my driveway for good, haven't found anything to do it yet! They all seem to just kill the top and then it comes back! There has got to be something that will kill it for good! Will straight gas or whatever do it?
try gas but be sure to light it on fire, or try shooting them

Old 02-15-2016, 05:56 AM

1,148 posts, read 449,968 times
Or you can do like many of us old timers have done for years. Get down on your hands & knees, and pull the little basteeds out! ;-)

Old 02-18-2016, 01:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,048 times
I have tried covering my garden w/ black poly plastic to kill all grass and weeds. an old timer ask me why. when i told him he made an good response. while the black poly stopped the sun from allowing the grass to grow it did nothing for the seed and future growth. thus when the poly is removed the seed sprout and grow. he suggested clear poly to allow all seed to sprout and grow but not mature enough to produce new seed for the next generation. the grass did grow to surprising length under the clear poly but the heat killed it before it turned to seed. i had placed lumber on it to hold it down. i will see this year as to how it works. i really didn't want to use round up of poison in my vegetable garden.
use a heavy mil poly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden