U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 06:21 PM

86,106 posts, read 60,516,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony walker View Post
I'm looking for something to kill the weeds in my driveway for good, haven't found anything to do it yet! They all seem to just kill the top and then it comes back! There has got to be something that will kill it for good! Will straight gas or whatever do it?
Mix a little diesel with that Ortho Ground Clear.

I just used that with some diesel in it on my driveway..gravel.

After 2 weeks I can see the difference. Bigger difference than when I used the Ortho last year by itself.

Takes a long time to permanently kill off stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 12:14 PM

1,039 posts, read 428,730 times
I used to own a house with a huge backyard and my gardening = paying some guy to whippersnip, and wandering around once or twice a year with Roundup in between times, myself.

I dug up all the grass in my front yard and sprayed the heck out of it, then put down mulch and some shady growing plants - a huge hedge, a tree that sucked up all the light (this was intentional, its hot where I live), climbers, then mulch the heck out of the rest of it.
It was easy.

If you get mulch down, especially if you plant shady things, weeds just don't take and grass wont grow. The Plants overtake the weeds if you do it right. You might need to spray or pull the odd straggler, but I lived 25 years without Actually Gardening, and I had quite a nice garden, because I mulched and planted and paved. At a snails pace might I add, Im talking some pea straw once a year best.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:04 AM

5 posts, read 2,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I can't imagine a worst thing than having bare ground with NOTHING growing on it. What would keep the dirt from blowing around in a strong breeze? Or from being a mud hole everytime it rained. It seems to me that your city would prefer that you just keep everything cut to a reasonable height.

I am curious as to why they don't want any grass or weeds.
It's an area under a deck, and the weeds and thorny plants just grow up through the deck. The previous owner had done nothing to stop this and the weeds had become inch-thick razor-sharp vines that pried the boards apart and ruined the deck in some places.

So ... there are places where it would be nice to just permanently poison the soil. I'm wondering if salt the cheapest and best option. I don't want to pay $30 for a solution that only works for 6 months...

Old 06-05-2016, 04:21 PM
Status: "Our country is going to hell in a hand basket!" (set 20 days ago)

35,614 posts, read 34,484,946 times
Haven't read the entire thread but I'm sure by now somebody has told you to use vinegar. Oh how that old saw goes around! Sure strong vinegar will kill top growth but does not touch the root. Don't fall for that.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:31 AM

2,442 posts, read 1,322,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreanSoul View Post
It's an area under a deck, and the weeds and thorny plants just grow up through the deck. The previous owner had done nothing to stop this and the weeds had become inch-thick razor-sharp vines that pried the boards apart and ruined the deck in some places.

So ... there are places where it would be nice to just permanently poison the soil. I'm wondering if salt the cheapest and best option. I don't want to pay $30 for a solution that only works for 6 months...
You want a totally impermeable layer.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:53 AM

8,434 posts, read 11,146,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreanSoul View Post

Can you get under there to put down the black fabric covering that you can find in 50 ft. rolls at Lowe's, Home Depot, garden shops etc. ? Then put the mulch or stones on top of it.

Old Today, 10:47 AM

1 posts
In our area of the city, we cannot put anything in the environment i.e. ground etc. that will harm the water supply, air, or other life sustainable developments. Even flushing medications down the waste pipes are prohibited.

Old Today, 12:11 PM

2,520 posts, read 713,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Thanks for both responses. We poured the Roundup 6 months ago but it came back. It would be too much work to do the cardboard mulch.
Why do you want to make any area completely sterile ?

Use RoundUp whenever necessary and stay away from anything so toxic that kills grass and weeds forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden