Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2009, 03:42 PM

59 posts, read 228,036 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are just getting into flower gardening and our first project is her favorite flower... tulips. We want to plant them in the front of our house but it's shaded by a large tree.

Here are my questions for all you experienced gardeners out there:

1. Our backyard gets 4-6 hours of sun. Could we start in the backyard in small plastic pots in flats now then transplant to the front in the spring? If so, what size pots is recommended?

2. Since the leaves will all fall off the tree in the front, there will be a good amount of sun over the winter. We live in Atlanta and winters are relatively mild but temps can fall into the teens. Will they be okay if we just planted them into the ground in the front of the house where we'd like them? Once the leaves come back on the tree in the spring, they'll only get about two hours maximum sun.

Any advice or other recommendations you might be able to help us with would be very much appreciated. Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 04:08 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,909,925 times
I am insterested in hearing the answer to this and also my question.

I want to plant tulips in the spring as well. I know you are suppose to plant them in the fall.... but I don't have my flower garden in yet... it will be a project for next spring. Can I start tulip bulbs inside in pots and transplant in the spring or am I out for the next year spring garden?

Old 10-30-2009, 04:08 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
If the tree is decidous (loses the leaves) they will be ok in the yard shaded by the tree (oops I re-read). I've never transplanted out of pots into the ground but force them for color inside in Jan/Feb.

Tulips do need a certain number of hours below freezing to be their best. They should be planted now into Dec. Waiting until Spring doesn't work with tulips and most Spring bulbs.

http://www.americanmeadows.com/Quick...ringBulbs.aspx

Old 10-30-2009, 04:20 PM

59 posts, read 228,036 times
North Beach Person,

Should we just plant the bulbs into the ground now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If the tree is decidous (loses the leaves) they will be ok in the yard shaded by the tree (oops I re-read). I've never transplanted out of pots into the ground but force them for color inside in Jan/Feb.

Tulips do need a certain number of hours below freezing to be their best. They should be planted now into Dec. Waiting until Spring doesn't work with tulips and most Spring bulbs.

What bulbs grow in my region? (US Map) - About Planting Bulbs in Fall - Guide to Flower Bulbs

Old 10-30-2009, 05:36 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtotheATL View Post
North Beach Person,

Should we just plant the bulbs into the ground now?

Plant tulips, daffodils, crocuses now. I imagine there are Atlanta zone specific ones that I'd never see.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:53 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,022 times
Tulips are fairly easy, the one thing they will not tolerate is heat during their growing season. They like it cold. Tulips fare poorly in warm climates.

Don't mess with pots or flats, just put the tulip bulbs in the ground. The next spring they will either thrive and bloom or not.

If they fail to thrive, plant something else. Gardening is easy.....dump plants that perform poorly and replace them with something else till you get something that makes you happy.

Worth a try, but I suspect that springs and winters in Atlanta may may be too warm for tulips. Shade/sun is really not an issue with tulip bulbs.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:46 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
I never had too much luck with Tulips in Memphis. Could have been the heat or could have been the poor drainage, probably a combination of both.
Pre chilling bulbs is supposed to help. COLORBLENDS | Prechilling
Or you can buy them already chilled Brent And Becky's Bulbs: Pre-Cooled Bulbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden