Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:30 AM

851 posts, read 3,626,009 times

Advertisements

Please see the picture. One big patch of my lawn is turning yellow. Does anybody know how to treat it? It looks like the blade of grass is turning yellow first, then the whole grass is gone. I am in Texas.
Attached Thumbnails
Patch of lawn is turning yellow-img00001.jpg  

Last edited by TheStupid; 11-08-2009 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 09:39 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
Please see the picture. One big patch of my lawn is turning yellow. Does anybody know how to treat it? It looks like the blade of grass is turning yellow first, then the whole grass is gone.
Looks like the work of Cinch Bug. With this years drought we had a really hard time with them too. Google "cinch bug, pic, chinch bug treatements" to decide if that is the problem and which way you want to treat it.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:04 AM

7 posts, read 34,189 times
I agree with the post above - it looks like chinch.

But - - if you have grubs in yuor area, make sure to check and see if that might be it.

If it turns yellow, then dies, it could be grubs.

They destroy the root system underneath, then the grass turns yellow and dies.

If it is grubs, that dead grass will lift up like a carpet because the root system is gone underneath.

You can also dig down under ane affected area and see if any grubs are there - you only need to dig less than a foot deep.

I do lawn care in south Florida, and the grubs are terrible right now.
Killing enire lawns - and I am doing re sodding constantly.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:30 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,062,717 times
If you continue having these lawn problems (lawns are a pain in the butt for me) you might want to consider a type of self maintaining landscaping such as rock gardens with natural vegetation that doesn't need so much water. Neighborhoods with every house having a perfect lawn seems way to stepford-wife-ish for my tastes, Give me a cactus garden any-day.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:54 PM

432 posts, read 3,658,281 times
How do you get rid of chinch bugs?

Old 11-18-2009, 06:45 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornb17 View Post
How do you get rid of chinch bugs?
There are many many different applications on the market. Personally, I like liquid that you attached to your hose and spray. Go to home depot or any hardware/home improvement/nursery store and look at the different insect applications that are on the market. From experience you will need to treat at least twice for a bad infestation

Old 11-18-2009, 01:08 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
If you continue having these lawn problems (lawns are a pain in the butt for me) you might want to consider a type of self maintaining landscaping such as rock gardens with natural vegetation that doesn't need so much water. Neighborhoods with every house having a perfect lawn seems way to stepford-wife-ish for my tastes, Give me a cactus garden any-day.

Just because you can't take care of your lawn doesn't mean you should look down on those that can . That's called jealousy .

Old 11-18-2009, 08:46 PM

851 posts, read 3,626,009 times
Lawn is one of the worst environmental waste, in my stupid opinion. The amount of water to take care of the lawn and the amount of chemicals that we dump there....

I bought some spectracide(?) and a spreader to dump it on my lawn. It seems to stop the yellowing to spread further.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:18 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
I've never once watered my lawn (I refuse to waste water and $$ on grass), even when over seeding, and use almost exclusively organic fertilizer on it. I am also investigating the use of beneficial nematodes that take care of pests without pesticides.

I live in the SE US. 8-10 hours of sun a day. In July/August it starts to get a little crunchy but in Sept. it comes right back. It's TTTF.

What kind of grass do you have? If you do not know, I'd start there.
Attached Thumbnails
Patch of lawn is turning yellow-1.jpg   Patch of lawn is turning yellow-5.jpg  

Old 11-19-2009, 02:25 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
Please see the picture. One big patch of my lawn is turning yellow. Does anybody know how to treat it? It looks like the blade of grass is turning yellow first, then the whole grass is gone. I am in Texas.

I live in Texas, too, and that looks like grubs to me. They can ruin an entire yard in less than a week. I've had quite a time with them this year and so have my neighbors. One way to treat the yard is with a spray bottle or insecticide attached to the hose. It works. Check with your local garden store they will point out the best stuff to use. It comes in granules or liquid. I prefer the liquid because you don't have to spread anything first. Just pop the bottle on the hose and fire away.

Some folks use powdered laundry detergent, specifically Tide. Spread it and then hose it down until it bubbles. BUT, this is not long lasting. You'll have to do it again in a couple of weeks. The insecticide is better and takes care of the problem. Neither one hurts St. Augustine or Bermuda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden