Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:51 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,770,513 times

Advertisements

If you are opposed to extermination of the varmints and live within the city limits then I suggest hiring a professional "critter ridder". An angry coon is not to be messed with and a number of them carry rabies.

There is a product out there to put on the trunks of trees called "sticky foot" to catch insect that crawl up trees. It is sort of like the glue in flypaper. Raccoons are groomers and don't want sticky-stuff on their paws and fur. Perhaps you can design a "sticky-trap" as a deterant.

You might also call your local conservation agency for legal means of elimination/removal suggestions.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 11-17-2009 at 11:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 11:01 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,527,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If you are opposed to extermination of the varnmits and live within the city limits then I suggest hiring a professional "critter ridder". An angry coon is not to be messed with and a number of them carry rabies.

There is a product out there to put on the trunks of trees called "sticky foot" to catch insect that drawl up trees. It is sort of like the glue in flypaper. Raccoons are groomers and don't want sticky-stuff on their paws and fur. Perhaps you can design a "sticky-trap" as a deterant.

You might also call your local conservation agency for legal means of elimination/removal suggestions.
How about fly paper then? Probably cheaper.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:15 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,645,257 times
You need to kill one racoon. Then skin it and display the skin near your garden, on a fence or a nearby wall. That will keep them away.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:07 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,435,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If you are opposed to extermination of the varmints and live within the city limits then I suggest hiring a professional "critter ridder". An angry coon is not to be messed with and a number of them carry rabies.

There is a product out there to put on the trunks of trees called "sticky foot" to catch insect that crawl up trees. It is sort of like the glue in flypaper. Raccoons are groomers and don't want sticky-stuff on their paws and fur. Perhaps you can design a "sticky-trap" as a deterant.

I like the "sticky" idea; but since they are so fastidious...they'll probably go to my birdbaths...get stuck and really smash them up...LOL.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You need to kill one racoon. Then skin it and display the skin near your garden, on a fence or a nearby wall. That will keep them away.
Great idea Does it also work with criminals!

Old 12-01-2009, 05:57 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,487,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
I know you don't want to hurt them but maybe cayenne would be a good idea. I think the cayenne would be noticed from a safe enough distance... I wouldn't want to hurt them either.

You... could... plant a diversionary garden, perhaps. I've only had a problem with deer & mice, although we have all the other critters here.

They love cat food. Maybe a dish of that would divert them? Except it would feed vermin also, sorry not a good idea.

Every day we see a raccoon family cross the road to go to someone's house in the late afternoon. I'm guessing that's the time of day when the cat food is put out.

It'll be interesting to see how this evolves if you share your outcome with us!
I don't think the cayenne is going to do any good.....I used to sprinkle ground up (red) hot chili peppers.....bought a huge container at Costco or somewhere....the kind you sprinkle on pizza, spaghetti, etc. The trouble with all the costly chemical stuff, (and the home made ideas, too), is that when sprinklers go on, or you have a few mornings with dew or rain......the deterrent dissipates..... Anyway, it didn't make the destructive rabbits go away at all.....

Old 12-01-2009, 06:51 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,770,513 times
Well, I had a racoon get himself stuck in an un-baited Havaheart trap last week. He was big and he was spitting . There was no way I was going near him in that trap. Soooooo......I called a local farmer whom I knew to "coon hunt". He expedited the critter to the afterlife and sold his pelt and meat.

Works for me!

Old 12-01-2009, 08:08 PM

139 posts, read 567,172 times
Racoons are extremely smart,stone cold killers.If your pets are still alive you are in an extreme minority.I was once involved where the neighbors were losing chickens every night.The coons were caught up a tree where they played possum.One was shot out of the tree.I cut off the tail for my bike,put it in a bag covered in salt and put it on the garage roof to dry out the next day.The body was put in the trash can.
About 1/2 hour after we were sittting in the living room a blood curdling sound came from the inside of the house.The male(coons mate for life)was on the propane tank standing up outside the screen.He was extremely pissed and ready to come through the screen to teach us m&frs a lesson.Holding a firearm and walking towards that window with those red eyes staring at me while he was growling like a lion.They are not cuddly walt disney show animals.
I would kill one as the other poster said.Leave it as a message.They are stone cold killers.I wonder if the op still has all her cats?Did one run away?

Old 12-01-2009, 08:12 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,188,343 times
I used a Mustang fence charger and three close strands of hot wire. Never lost an ear of corn. A single strand is worthless. I put it up for dogs and it worked on coons too. 115 volt jolts make them look for easier diggings.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnoteddie View Post
Racoons are extremely smart,stone cold killers.If your pets are still alive you are in an extreme minority.I was once involved where the neighbors were losing chickens every night.The coons were caught up a tree where they played possum.One was shot out of the tree.I cut off the tail for my bike,put it in a bag covered in salt and put it on the garage roof to dry out the next day.The body was put in the trash can.
About 1/2 hour after we were sittting in the living room a blood curdling sound came from the inside of the house.The male(coons mate for life)was on the propane tank standing up outside the screen.He was extremely pissed and ready to come through the screen to teach us m&frs a lesson.Holding a firearm and walking towards that window with those red eyes staring at me while he was growling like a lion.They are not cuddly walt disney show animals.
I would kill one as the other poster said.Leave it as a message.They are stone cold killers.I wonder if the op still has all her cats?Did one run away?
The OP does NOT let HIS cat outside unless I am walking her on a leash...she's a Manx cat...like a stocky and muscular little Bulldog . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manx_(cat) .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden