U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-18-2009, 09:50 PM

851 posts, read 2,038,530 times

Advertisements

OK, I remember seeing an post here about this but I cannot find it.

I live in TX where the winter gets to 40 and summer 120+.

How much watering do I need to water my lawn?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 10:36 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,220,712 times
Drought-tolerant lawn for Texas?!
What grass do you have on your lawn?
Drought-tolerant lawn for Central Texas?!
Native plant/grass species for lawns?

Old 11-19-2009, 08:31 PM

851 posts, read 2,038,530 times
Thanks, but those are about grass not about how much watering.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:45 PM

6,370 posts, read 10,456,897 times
You need to know what kind of grass you have. What kind do you have? There are some grasses like bermuda that don't ever really need to be watered - they will essentially go dormant. When it rains again they will bounce right back.

If your question is "how much water do I need to use to have a green lawn" that is also grass dependent but the general rule is 1" per week watered all at once (deep watering) although that is soil dependent. What kind of soil do you have? Is it clay? Sand? Combo of both?

The answer is a lot more complicated than the question...

Old 11-19-2009, 11:52 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,220,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
Thanks, but those are about grass not about how much watering.
The links are about grass AND watering. I'm sure of it. The above poster is correct that YOU need to know what KIND of grass YOU have or will get.

AAAAnd if YOU know WHAT kind of grass you're going to be dealing with, just ASK someone where the GRASS IS SOLD.

Easy as apple pie.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:26 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,637,105 times
Water grass? Not at my house. LOL

Old 11-20-2009, 12:23 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,057,074 times
Without getting too technical... The amount one water has nothing to do with the type of grass or plant. It is dependent on the soil and the size of root zone. You water just to fill the usable volume of the soil. Now HOW frequent should I water? Would take into account the type of plant or grass you have...You water when the grass or plant takes up all the usable water content in the root zone..

So, knowing the soil type and root zone will help you how much you can water while the type of grass or plant will help you decide how frequent that you should apply the said amount, make sense?

Old 11-23-2009, 08:43 PM

8 posts, read 18,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Without getting too technical... The amount one water has nothing to do with the type of grass or plant. It is dependent on the soil and the size of root zone. You water just to fill the usable volume of the soil. Now HOW frequent should I water? Would take into account the type of plant or grass you have...You water when the grass or plant takes up all the usable water content in the root zone..

So, knowing the soil type and root zone will help you how much you can water while the type of grass or plant will help you decide how frequent that you should apply the said amount, make sense?

Very nice response. Couldn't of said it better myself. One point I would like to make. Try not to water your grass or plants over night. As it does very little in the way of giving them water.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:14 PM

6,981 posts, read 16,628,511 times
Just watch the neighbors for a while. Who has good looking grass? Your soil is probably about the same. Ask what kind of grass and does he use fertilizer. Copy his/her watering habits.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:04 PM

9,049 posts, read 16,465,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Water grass? Not at my house. LOL
Me neither, but I have three acres so I couldn't water it even if I wanted to. My centipede lawn has survived for 35 years without ever being watered.

If I lived somewhere like central TX I would have to look into landscaping mulch/rocks with some drought tolerant shrubs and ornamental grasses here and there, a lawn wouldn't be worth it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden