Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2009, 08:34 PM

287 posts, read 896,802 times

Advertisements

I'm growing many tomato plants and the temps have been in the 50's up to the low 70's during the day and 30's - '40's at night. Seems like we've been a bit colder this year. I've been covering them up every night since the first light freeze we had (I lost several plants in that freeze) and they've looked good until just recently. The new growth has just started to look "mushy" like its been frozen (even though we haven't had any frozen nights recently) and there is some leaf curling. The newer growth has just gone limp. There's no signs of mold on the underneath of the leaf so I'm not sure its late blossom rot. Are they just getting tired of the weather? I've attached a picture. Is it just too cold for these guys?
Attached Thumbnails
Growing tomatos in the Phoenix winter weather-getattachment.aspx.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 08:46 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by once-upon-chicago View Post
I'm growing many tomato plants and the temps have been in the 50's up to the low 70's during the day and 30's - '40's at night. Seems like we've been a bit colder this year. I've been covering them up every night since the first light freeze we had (I lost several plants in that freeze) and they've looked good until just recently. The new growth has just started to look "mushy" like its been frozen (even though we haven't had any frozen nights recently) and there is some leaf curling. The newer growth has just gone limp. There's no signs of mold on the underneath of the leaf so I'm not sure its late blossom rot. Are they just getting tired of the weather? I've attached a picture. Is it just too cold for these guys?
Your's look better than mine and I have been covering. We are in Casa Grande, and I think I got over-zealous...learning experience I guess...We will start a new crop in February, March when it starts to heat up during the day a little more. I just don't think it's warm enough for them the last few weeks or so, as the days have been getting cooler rather than warmer...

Old 12-30-2009, 06:23 PM

287 posts, read 896,802 times
Hi Grannysroot, I've been covering, too. Been told to give up the ghost but I refuse! I still cover every night & have even added christmas lights (non LED type). As long as they look like they can be saved I'm fighting for them. Won't hold up hope that I'll actually get anything from them now but I have some plants that look great in the middle of a few who might not make it. SO I'll keep on keeping on. There's also some pepper plants that are hiding underneath some of the other plants that look great, too.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:31 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
I wish you lots of luck I keep covering the herb pots, hibiscus and geraniums and they are doing fine, though my thyme and basil fizzeled out...thinking about planting some lettuce where my pepper plants were
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden