U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 02:31 PM

380 posts, read 542,455 times

Advertisements

Hey all!
I just cleared a lot of cedar out of my lot and chipped it. A landscaper told me to just spread it around the lawn as a mulch. He said it will naturally decompose and improve the soil quality. Do you agree? How long will the mulch take to decompose and green to poke through again?
Should I till it in the ground?
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 06:28 AM

7,730 posts, read 12,446,984 times
Fresh mulch uses up a lot of nitrogen to decompose. I'm not sure I would spread it on the lawn.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:05 AM

249 posts, read 741,667 times
Lawn? I don't think so. It would be suitable around shrubs & trees, but it propbably has a high wood (vs. bark) content, so it may steal some nitogen from the soil.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:36 AM

22,702 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Does this guy run a lawn service?

You can use the wood chip as mulch around trees, shrubs and plants. It's not a recommended top dressing for lawns. Fungi needs nitrogen to decompose wood. It'll use nitrogen in the air, but if it's buried, it will take it from every nitrogen source it can find in the soil. You could apply a very light application of tiny chip (I'll use the analogy of putting salt and pepper on food) without harming the lawn, but it scarcely seems worth the effort.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:44 AM

13,486 posts, read 29,434,352 times
I own a wood chipper and I have more wood chips than I know what to do with, after tommorow I will have even more (from clearing invasive brush).

I spread some of mine around last year in the woods and it has pretty much decomposed now, although it does encourage stinkhorn fungi that smells like rotting garbage after rain. You may cringe at this, but my best results have been from leaving it piled up and pouring diluted urine over it throughout the summer. The urine has lots of nitrogen in it and it breaks down the wood chips fairly quickly.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:37 PM

380 posts, read 542,455 times
Thanks everyone. I want to slap the guy who told me to spread it around. Now I get to spend the weekend raking them all up. :-(

Anyone know an easy way of disposing of a large amount of mulch? I have a mountain of it. Should I order a bagster from Waste Management or something?

Old 01-06-2010, 01:40 PM

7,730 posts, read 12,446,984 times
You can turn it into compost. Use your lawn clippings from this coming summer, coffee grounds, or at worst, buy a couple bags of 34-0-0 fertilizer from a farm supply store and mix it all together. In the fall, it should be ready to spread on the lawn then.

Come to think of it, you might just want to put down some high nitrogen fertilizer before a heavy rain in the spring once the grass is starting to green up. It would counteract the mulch, and help the lawn in the process. But you have to make sure it's going to be a lot of rain. That high a nitrogen content could easily burn the lawn if not watered in almost immediately.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:50 PM

6,959 posts, read 12,375,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
Thanks everyone. I want to slap the guy who told me to spread it around. Now I get to spend the weekend raking them all up. :-(

Anyone know an easy way of disposing of a large amount of mulch? I have a mountain of it. Should I order a bagster from Waste Management or something?
Put an ad on freecycle or your local paper. Free mulch. You haul.
Also, if you're a fisherman, leave some piled up back out of the way somewhere. Next spring and summer, keep it damp. Great place for fishing worms!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden