U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 07:38 PM

1,849 posts, read 6,140,157 times

Advertisements

I have a fence about 3 feet high around my front yard. The back has a 5 ft. wooden fence. It does keep out the dogs thank goodness.

I still get stray cats in my yard but they don't do as much damage as a large dog.

It's too bad people won't be more responsible for their pets. Yes I do think there should be a fine for dooing in someone elses yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 02:21 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,999,847 times
When we first moved in I had wanted to expand the fenceline because we had uninvited kids in our yard all the time which made us as home-owners liable for their mishaps, but husband balked at the cost...so I figured planting something along the edge would be another option...

Yes, we do have laws on the books and I would have to 'document' the offenses, thereby labeling me the crazy gardening lady on the corner...
We've wanted a security camera for more than just this (see other threads about neighbors, drugs, crime...) but now that we plan to move SOON, I will just deal with it until then.

Today I found a SKATEBOARD in my flowerbed!
Ahhh, dude, you Ollie?
My husband skates, but nope, he's a long-boarder. Slalom. And his many board$ are inside the house.
I assumed it was left there by one of the kids who use the bus-stop at the corner of my lot (which collects the garbage they leave there every day).
I don't much mind him/her parking it, but it was IN amongst my flowers...crunch.
So I moved it to the outside edge under my huge Aloe plants, left a note telling him not to use the flowers as camouflage and where I put the board. Aloe is tough stuff, no worries.
But if his board gets stolen while on my property...tsk tsk.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:53 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,949,788 times
Someone on a different forum, recommended motion detecting sprinklers. And I would put a short picket fence around your front yard so the dogs can't get in there to do their duty.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:49 PM

125 posts, read 424,219 times
Has anyone consider an invisible doggie fence? Isn't dog poo biodegradable? Can it be used as fertilizer? Is it only large dog poo that offends or is it all dog poo?

Old 05-31-2007, 06:35 PM

8,204 posts, read 31,597,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justone321 View Post
Isn't dog poo biodegradable? Can it be used as fertilizer? Is it only large dog poo that offends or is it all dog poo?
Nope, Nope and Yup!

Dog poo is very s-l-o-w to biodegrade....it sits there a long, long time.

It is not good for the grass....this is another big misconception - it is actually bad for the grass and can be dangerous to other pets and to people (parasites and such).

All size dog poo offends. A lot of people, myself included, like to garden in our yards - the last thing we want to come across is poo of any size. It's my yard, why would someone leave anything in my yard? Litter, poo, whatever - it's just rude to leave something behind.

The poo should be picked up in a baggie, brought home and either 1) flushed, 2) put in garbage can - though this is not ideal, or 3) biodegraded thru an accelerrant system such as a Doggie Dooley or buried in a hole with lime.

I wish I could fence my front yard in, but unfortunately, in Florida, many HOAs restrict this.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:13 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,999,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justone321 View Post
Has anyone consider an invisible doggie fence? Isn't dog poo biodegradable? Can it be used as fertilizer? Is it only large dog poo that offends or is it all dog poo?

It's just nasty...

This is a garden which requires hands-on attention, sometimes at knee-level, and because it's growing in, excrement might not be visible enough until after it has been otherwise found.

Really, do you like stepping in dog ****? Same thing.

Plus, my husband mows our grass, and NOTHING makes him angrier than running over a pile with the lawnmower or stepping in it.

Invisible fence - if we were staying and wanted to invest in the expense, sure...but should we really have to?

These folks have their own yards and swales.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:24 PM

8,204 posts, read 31,597,995 times
Default Invisible fence?

Am I missing something about invisible fences?

I thought these only worked if the dog wore a collar that was in frequency with the invisible fence......how would this work on neighbor's dogs??

Old 06-02-2007, 01:32 AM

138 posts, read 410,693 times
riveree- you are correct- an invisable fence is to keep a dog with a collar IN- it does nothing to stop a dog from the outside coming in. That is one of the reasons why they are not too great- another dog that may fight with yours can come in. I just saw this section of City Data- don't think all dog people with an extendable leash let their dog **** on your property- I attach a plastic grocery bag with a paper towel in it to my jeans belt loop- ALWAYS. I don't want somebody to **** in my yard, and I always pick up.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:08 PM

13,374 posts, read 40,197,838 times
heh
This thread brings back many, many memories of our block in Denver, CO.
It was very urban living there, but we all loved our gardens, and there were lots and lots of canines, including our own. The people who did not clean up after their dogs really infuriated me, because those irresponsible dog owners make ALL dog owners look like jerks.
Quote:
In our case, we collected the dog **** and delivered it to the porch and entry of the offending neighbors, making sure they knew it was their dog's ****.
This was done more than once to a selfish dolt on our block who let her poor elderly lab wander--and leave "deposits"--all over the neighborhood. I never was reduced to that strategy because the lab was scared to death of my dogs so she never made any deposits at our place.
I have read that doggie dooleys only work to some extent, but have always been interested in them.
We had a lot of doggie playdates, as well, by choice. So I just had to sigh and watch my lilies get beheaded or the impatiens trampled. I can well understand how a non-dog-owner would be especially PO'd at doggie damage, and/or feces.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:58 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,869,465 times
Default here is a link....

to another thread on this lovely topic.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/pets/...-poo-your.html

I feel your pain friends. But have to say since I put up my lil no **** signs,
I only had one run in with a lady and her dog. And she was screaming it's biodegradeable....and I kindly reminded her if so, take your dog and it's **** and place it in your yard. And this screaming started when I offered her a baggie to pick up after her dog who was pursuaded by her to go on my front lawn aprox. 3 feet from one of my signs. Then I explained to her over her shouting if I catch her again and her lil dog (his name is not toto by the way)
she would find a mega gift on her door step.
Some are relentless, so I feel for ya,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or