U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 03:04 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,999,847 times

Advertisements

I don't know if GARDEN or PETS is where I should post this, so I might X post it...

I have this scenario play out almost every day outside my house...

We have leash laws here, yet domestic animals run wild.

I LOVE animals. All animals. But I don't appreciate strange dogs wandering through my yard, relieving themselves and/or harassing the wildlife.

Almost every day, people walk by my garden which sets striding the sidewalk, specifically planted for butterflies. I planted it there so that the community would have something nice to look at. It has been a success - everyone stops to comment and praise the effort, we exchange cuttings...and SAHM actually bring their children by to watch for dragon/butterflies.

But many of these same people bring their dogs and think nothing of allowing the beast to urinate on the flowering borders (what survives the assault smells awful!) or unleashed, leave piles in my yard.

It has gotten to the point now that both my husband and I are at the ready to run out and scold people, handing them grocery bags (because they are "walking" the dog without one) or like two weeks ago...this was just stupid - a women who lives two doors down from me was walking her dog, leash folded in hand but dog running free all over the place...started rummaging in my yard while she stood in the street.
He took a dump while I was in the kitchen (that's why I saw him) and I marched out there in amazement. She was already walking away 'like nothing and I yelled to her, "EXCUSE ME - PLEASE USE THE LEASH!" Half-witted and while still holding the limp tether, she responded, "I am!" I barked back, very strongly (OK, I GROWLED - I was beyond my limit) "ON THE DOG!"

I don't get it...these folks don't want dog **** on their own grass but think nothing of soiling mine. We all have front and back yardage...

The county won't do anything about it...I've already contacted someone about posting an ordinance sign at the corner mentioning this as a fined offense...nothing came of it. It is also an offense to post signs on our property ourselves...
I am about to buy one of those cast iron (voiding) dogs and cement it in to the ground.

It find it ridiculous that I actually have to remind anyone that this is not neighborly behavior.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 04:43 AM

153 posts, read 616,182 times
Run out with a camera or video cam in hand and start taking pictures. Turn the hose on their dogs when on your property.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:06 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,434,407 times
I am trying to figure out how I have dog pile presents in my front yard near the house. We don't have a dogs that wander so this must come from people who have their dogs on those expando leashes(don't get me started on them) and they let them up into the yard.
We let out dogs out in the fenced backyard so I know its not coming from my "kids"
We had one lady who had a homemade sign by here mailbox saying "please don't let your dog go here" it was written on a piece of cardboard so the HOA made her take it down.
I am thinking of ordering one of those little signs with the dog going and the line through it and putting that out by the mailbox.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:41 PM

8,204 posts, read 31,597,995 times
I feel your pain 33458.

I have dogs myself and my approach is that I take my dogs out into my own backyard BEFORE they go on their walk, so they "empty out". Then they are walked with a bag in pocket just in case.

The dog pee is a tough one because dogs instinctively want to mark. If the dog relieves itself prior to the walk, then the amount of "marking" is minimal, often just a few squirts. The male dog urine, by the way, is fairly harmless. It's the female dog urine that can burn the grass (it's the difference in hormones or something).

I have a sidewalk in front of my house, so many presents have been left. My solution has been to:

1) Chase down the offenders....yup - I have confronted my neighbors when caught in the act. 2 of them have been reformed, I'm still trying to catch the others.

2) Complained to my HOA enough that they started to address it in the newsletters.

3) Use natural deterrents. You can sprinkle copious amounts of black pepper and/or crushed red pepper flakes.....this bothers the dogs but does not harm them in any way. I also have had good results with lemon juice - I just squeeze some lemon halves all over the areas I don't want the dogs near and then I leave the whole rind hidden in my plants for a little extra lemon scent...most dogs, and cats, hate citrus.

There will always be some dogs that are actually compelled to scent OVER any deterrent you might lay out.....I've noticed this can often be unfixed male dogs (and why aren't these people neutering their dogs anyway?).

I also ended up putting one of those nice iron-looking black plastic borders around my mailbox plantings.....I think that sends a clear message.

It's an ongoing battle, but things have gotten better for me with these approaches above.

Best of luck!

Old 05-27-2007, 12:26 AM

10,875 posts, read 41,244,086 times
I mentioned this on a thread a couple of months ago, but it looks like it might be time to mention it again ...

If you live in a community with leash laws/HOA regulations, and other laws against people not cleaning up behind their animals, and the local community won't enforce the regs ... then you must become very proactive about protecting you property and all of your work and investment.

Signage asking people to have their dogs under leash control and not have their dogs "mess" in your yard is a starting point.

From there, it's a matter of asking people to not use your yard for their pets.

Absent their cooperation, it's time to get nasty. Signage advising "double your dog's **** back" is a starting point.

In our case, we collected the dog **** and delivered it to the porch and entry of the offending neighbors, making sure they knew it was their dog's ****.

In a worst case, with a belligerent neighbor who got very abusive about our distress at having to repeatedly clean up behind their dogs, we followed them home and ... shovel in hand ... rang their doorbell. When they answered, we shoveled the mess inside their entryway, splattering the walls, carpet, door, etc. Belligerent neighbor got very abusive and threatened to call the police; we agreed that would be a very nice thing to do and handed them a quarter so they could make the call at our expense. Our community had laws against dogs running at large, being a nuisance (which included pooping in other people's yards), and so on. BNeighbor didn't call the police, but did start to keep their dogs confined in their own yard from that point forward.

Unfortunately, it takes extreme tactics like that for people to realize that their dogs are costing other people time and money which is not fair to one's neighbors. If you're not up for all this type of hassle, then you may have to reconsider your garden and quiet enjoyment of your property. Possibly a privacy fence to the limits of your front yard, too.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:33 AM

26,972 posts, read 38,219,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I mentioned this on a thread a couple of months ago, but it looks like it might be time to mention it again ...

If you live in a community with leash laws/HOA regulations, and other laws against people not cleaning up behind their animals, and the local community won't enforce the regs ... then you must become very proactive about protecting you property and all of your work and investment.

Signage asking people to have their dogs under leash control and not have their dogs "mess" in your yard is a starting point.

From there, it's a matter of asking people to not use your yard for their pets.

Absent their cooperation, it's time to get nasty. Signage advising "double your dog's **** back" is a starting point.

In our case, we collected the dog **** and delivered it to the porch and entry of the offending neighbors, making sure they knew it was their dog's ****.

In a worst case, with a belligerent neighbor who got very abusive about our distress at having to repeatedly clean up behind their dogs, we followed them home and ... shovel in hand ... rang their doorbell. When they answered, we shoveled the mess inside their entryway, splattering the walls, carpet, door, etc. Belligerent neighbor got very abusive and threatened to call the police; we agreed that would be a very nice thing to do and handed them a quarter so they could make the call at our expense. Our community had laws against dogs running at large, being a nuisance (which included pooping in other people's yards), and so on. BNeighbor didn't call the police, but did start to keep their dogs confined in their own yard from that point forward.

Unfortunately, it takes extreme tactics like that for people to realize that their dogs are costing other people time and money which is not fair to one's neighbors. If you're not up for all this type of hassle, then you may have to reconsider your garden and quiet enjoyment of your property. Possibly a privacy fence to the limits of your front yard, too.
You realize you could make a lot of money if you hired out to do this for other people?

Old 05-27-2007, 12:36 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,892,771 times
A really thin metal wire along the yard hooked up to a battery. Did I say that?

Old 05-27-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
A really thin metal wire along the yard hooked up to a battery. Did I say that?
Nooooo Miami Vice! Only if you can guarantee it will shock the people and not the dogs....it's not the dogs fault.

I also went after a neighbor who had a brand new puppy that she refused to leash. She walked her older dog on a leash, but let the puppy wander alongside loose. For the sake of the dog, I had to voice my feelings on it.

I confronted her twice about it, as nicely as I could, and she just smiled at me like an idiot. I haven't seen her in a while, so maybe she won't walk past my house anymore (fine with me), but I hope she is leashing the pup now.

I'd hate to see the pup go splat because she thinks it's cute to let him wander in the road.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post

\

I have been sooo tempted to go this route too, Sunsprit.

The reality is though, that had your neighbor made good on their promise to call the police, you could have ended up with some real legal problems.

As angry as you might get, you can't just throw fecal matter at people, or spit on them, or damage their property - there are real legal consequences for these things, even if you feel you were provoked.

Security cameras may be a better option. You can then show the recording to the police and the offender can be fined for leaving their dogs feces on your lawn - it is illegal and there are fines - that's probably the best way to teach them, get them in the wallet.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:27 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,289,425 times
[quote=myfask;777183]I am trying to figure out how I have dog pile presents in my front yard near the house. We don't have a dogs that wander so this must come from people who have their dogs on those expando leashes(don't get me started on them) and they let them up into the yard.
QUOTE]

Those expando leashes ought to be forbidden, or atleast the dog owners should have to take a course in how to behave in a built are. At my school, our school yard is just next to a very popular "dog-walk", and every day there's a dog owner who lets his/her dog "do its things" on our lawn! And they do not pick up after their dogs!
No, everyone should have a cat - they are so neat that they dig everything down when they do something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or