Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 10:28 AM

536 posts, read 1,193,280 times

Advertisements

my backyard has lots of ivy on my trees and on a decent size area on the ground, and i want to get rid of them.

the ones on the tree are easy , but the ones on the ground have tons of roots underground and im wondering if i rototill the area if that will prevent the ivy from coming back..

ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 01:05 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Q: What is a good way to remove English ivy?
A: One mechanical method has been reported favorably by several people: cut back the ivy’s climbing growth from fences, trees, etc., then keep mowing it until its root system has been worn out.

Other removal methods are described in the No Ivy League’s web site Ivy Removal Project - Home Page under general control methods, tips and wisdom, and ivycide clues.

English Ivy (FAQ's) (http://www.noivyleague.com/Pages/ivy_faqs.html - broken link)

Control page mentioned above:

Control Methods (http://tinyurl.com/2u2nho - broken link)

Old 06-01-2007, 04:53 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkjetsfan74 View Post
my backyard has lots of ivy on my trees and on a decent size area on the ground, and i want to get rid of them.

the ones on the tree are easy , but the ones on the ground have tons of roots underground and im wondering if i rototill the area if that will prevent the ivy from coming back..

ty
Does it get little white flowers? If so, that could be Field Bind Weed (creeping Jenny). They tested some plants at the local university and the roots went 45 feet into the ground. Pretty hard to kill something that's that hard to reach. Can slow them down.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:10 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
RoundUp ----no root, no weed, no problem

Herbicides may not be a politically correct solution, but for weeds with extensive roots systems RoundUp (glyphosate) does an effective job. It has the advantage of being non-residual which will allow the area to be seeded to grass after the dead ivy is removed.

Has worked well on bindweed in my wheat fields, as well.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:55 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
here is a little tip
if you mix a couple spoons of vegtable oil while you are mixing up the roundup in your sprayer it will help to keep it on the plant. that way it won't wash up as easy when it rains.

karla

Old 06-06-2007, 09:56 PM

208 posts, read 645,286 times
Round-up I echo what myfask said with the oil and also instead of 1 cup round increase to 2 and the rest water. Since you can not plant anything after using round. After the spraying was done, lay a heavey layer of barkdust or multch. And then spray again the following year. This ivy is very hard to kill, kinda like any berry. So in order to have nice landscape make sure your traveler "ivy" has left the garden. Hope this helps

Old 06-07-2007, 08:06 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Not looking for an argument, freeedom, but the active ingredient in the herbicide RoundUp is something called glyphosate.

Glyphosate itself works to kill by being transported from the leaves of the plant down to its roots where the chemical then suts down the root system.

Glyphosate, (RoundUp), is a non-residual herbicide when applied at the specified rates. Generally the chemical has entered the plant's system within 12 hours, but it often takes a week to 10 days for visible results to appear.

Ground that has been treated with RoundUp can be safely and successfully planted after that 7-day period.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:38 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
yup what cornerguy said
you can replant the area after the time period.
the only problem you may encounter if you rototill is you will "wake up" any weed seeds that may be burried deep in the gorund. So if your going to be doing a bed I would recommend several layers of newspaper as a weedblock this will also encourage earthworms who love the paper.

oh yeah nyjf then you want a nice thick mulch maybe dukester will help you with the mulch

karla

Old 06-07-2007, 11:58 PM

Thumbs up Correction Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Not looking for an argument, freeedom, but the active ingredient in the herbicide RoundUp is something called glyphosate.

Glyphosate itself works to kill by being transported from the leaves of the plant down to its roots where the chemical then suts down the root system.

Glyphosate, (RoundUp), is a non-residual herbicide when applied at the specified rates. Generally the chemical has entered the plant's system within 12 hours, but it often takes a week to 10 days for visible results to appear.

Ground that has been treated with RoundUp can be safely and successfully planted after that 7-day period.
Cornerguy, no argument at all, when your point holds truth. I stand to say I have just learned something new of Round-up. Now when we used it out on the ranch, We waited a year before any fresh planting was done. Maybe this was of choice on our part and not needed as you have stated .
We layed down a heavy amont of mulch/barkdust, and then the following year sprayed again. Now bear in mind this process is for the nasty of nasty hardy vines that IMO are very diffcult to kill..
I did see where our home town firestation used round-up to kill a portion of the grass, and they let it sit for 3 months before even putting the barkdust down, and then another 4-5 months before planting. And this was just for grass. I know the method my father did worked, and therefore was posting to help. and I agree completely with your post, and would not give out wrong information just to see myself type. So as I said, I think that everyone might have a different time frame of when they replant Concerning this thread and New york jet who really needs the correct information, I thank you for bringing your post in on correction
Bless your heart for pointing out to me,that

Old 06-08-2007, 01:11 AM

Smile For what it's worth

Newyorkjetsfan,

Now I am not wanting to stir anything up witb anyone in reguard to planting time after use of RoundUp, all in all have messed with this ivy enough to know first thing to be concern over is it gone! For what it's worth there is another forum you can go and look over and read how other people have been successful in having a ivy free yard. Garden village or just google getting rid of ivy. I stumbled over it a couple of months ago, and thought I would share one post with you and you can take it from there.

Ivy is notorious difficult to kill, any small piece left in the soil will grow. Rather than ripping it out, you may need to use two or three applications of Round Up.
Since you are posting on the Woodland forum, is your front yard well treed or otherwise in shade? Planting grass sod will not work, since lawn grasses do not grow well in shade or partial shade.
Now I have very large trees in my back that I spray around but not right up to them, and there is a post on this concern as well. As I have said this is not a debate about RoundUp in my post here but really trying to help with this terrable vine that chokes out tress and really can get to be out of control.
So, If it was me I would spray the first year and the second only because of the 'expericence ' I know and have with this vine.
Furthermore, stand on my last post with cornerguy for the time frame of planting after use with RoundUp.If under normal conditions. Hope you visit the site jetsfan,,,and hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden