Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 01:52 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,043,538 times

Advertisements

I have a lavender plant that I bought a couple of seasons ago. I've had it in a pot and brought it in the last two years. That is what I'd been told to do with it. This area has some below zero weather.

Last night I read in my greenhouse book that "lavender will survive but doesn't thrive in greenhouses because it needs a cold season."

So... what if I put it outside right now to give it some cold??? How many months of cold does it need???

Won't putting a plant that's been inside, outside in cold weather kill it?
Should I cover it and slowly expose it to cold?

It's green right now. Last season I only got a few blooms.

If I put it out right now, will it lose all it's green?

I need to cut it back some.

When should I do it?

Unfortunately, my greenhouse book didn't give me enough information and nothing that I have about lavender even tells you that it needs a cold season.

Help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 04:50 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,774,694 times
I am certainly not an expert on the subject... I do have some Lav. and i've grown it by seeds too.

my Lav stays 'gray green' [which is normal for my variety] all season long.

I do not know what would happen if you put it out now...maybe wait til it warms up a lil bit... above freezing maybe.

WHat is your zone? I'm zone 5 and most Lav is hardy in my zone.

If you dont put it out this winter... leave it out next to see what happens.

do you know the variety? Mine is near my foundation, ,so i think that may push a zone a bit.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:02 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,340 times
Lavender is a hardy plant that will grow for a long time. The damp and high hiumidity are two situations that always starve the plant from trying to grow. Dampness can come in the form of wet roots during the winter months or high humidity in the summer. You can clip them once you notice a root system but clipping before the roots grow will make the plant just roll over and become a statistic. We had hedges of Lavender growing in Pennsylvania. My grandmother was English and she started us with the plant and she enjoyed placing the dried flowers in socks in all of our clothes drawers.

The plant roots should have good drainage and be kept from over watering during seasons 2 through their life span.

Keeping the plants well shaped is by pruning them. The large or tall variety can be pruned up to 1/3 their height. Smaller varieties can be pruned to the ground but we never tried it because we felt it was risking the plant to produce and it may have wet roots and die...

A hand full of compost is a good thing when you first place them in the ground or pot. Pruning the flowers are good for keeping the plant in shape. Drying the plant for frangrances are done by clipping the plant small branches leaving the flowers intact and dry them upside down by clipping the branch to a small line with a clothes pin in an area with good air flow..... . Good luck and most of all have fun doing it...

Old 01-30-2010, 05:25 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,707 times
Lavendar is native to the Mediteranian region. It likes warm dry summers, and cool damp winters.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
I am certainly not an expert on the subject... I do have some Lav. and i've grown it by seeds too.

my Lav stays 'gray green' [which is normal for my variety] all season long.

I do not know what would happen if you put it out now...maybe wait til it warms up a lil bit... above freezing maybe.

WHat is your zone? I'm zone 5 and most Lav is hardy in my zone.

If you dont put it out this winter... leave it out next to see what happens.

do you know the variety? Mine is near my foundation, ,so i think that may push a zone a bit.
I'm in Zone 5, also.

It's French Lavender. I would have to look for it's tag to give more info.

How long have you had yours?

When do you prune it?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
Lavender is a hardy plant that will grow for a long time. The damp and high hiumidity are two situations that always starve the plant from trying to grow. Dampness can come in the form of wet roots during the winter months or high humidity in the summer. You can clip them once you notice a root system but clipping before the roots grow will make the plant just roll over and become a statistic. We had hedges of Lavender growing in Pennsylvania. My grandmother was English and she started us with the plant and she enjoyed placing the dried flowers in socks in all of our clothes drawers.

The plant roots should have good drainage and be kept from over watering during seasons 2 through their life span.

Keeping the plants well shaped is by pruning them. The large or tall variety can be pruned up to 1/3 their height. Smaller varieties can be pruned to the ground but we never tried it because we felt it was risking the plant to produce and it may have wet roots and die...

A hand full of compost is a good thing when you first place them in the ground or pot. Pruning the flowers are good for keeping the plant in shape. Drying the plant for frangrances are done by clipping the plant small branches leaving the flowers intact and dry them upside down by clipping the branch to a small line with a clothes pin in an area with good air flow..... . Good luck and most of all have fun doing it...
There is Clay Soil here. Wet Roots is is one reason I've kept it in a pot until I got some hardscaping in place.

There is also high humidity and I don't want to use chemical fungicides to prevent mildew and other issues.

I'm probably going to try planting it outside this year, close to the house with lots of drainage materials worked into the soil.

Last year was this plant's second season. I didn't get many blooms last year - probably because I've been bringing it inside during the winter months and it's not been getting it's cold season. So, I couldn't "prune" when I cut the flowers.

At this point, it's not been trimmed in 2 years....

WHEN should I prune it???????????

Old 01-31-2010, 08:26 AM

258 posts, read 1,176,020 times
I bought a Provence Lavender from HD last summer. I didn't get any blooms.
It's sitting outside on the balcony and has been covered in snow a few times so far and it's still grey green. I haven't bought it inside once.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Lavendar is native to the Mediteranian region. It likes warm dry summers, and cool damp winters.
How many months of cold does it need?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_rachel View Post
I bought a Provence Lavender from HD last summer. I didn't get any blooms.
It's sitting outside on the balcony and has been covered in snow a few times so far and it's still grey green. I haven't bought it inside once.
Wow. We've had a few weeks of below zero weather here, if I'd left my pot outside in the pot it would surely be dead.

I think I read that it takes about 5 years to get blooms.

I really need to know WHEN I should prune mine at this point...

I hope someone knows the answer!

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-31-2010 at 09:30 AM..

Old 01-31-2010, 01:42 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,643,845 times
I have Provence Lavender in Texas, planted in the ground. It needs really good drainage. I have it in rocky, slightly sandy soil and it's fine. It blooms every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden