U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 11:12 AM

1,172 posts, read 5,373,573 times

Advertisements

No, that's a picture of one at a home in Bala Cynwyd, PA. Long-established trees like that are very rare. Mine aren't nearly that large, sad to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 11:33 AM

1,378 posts, read 5,414,473 times
I love the Razzmatazz flower. It's still new to people and I was lucky enough to get a start when I was working in a nursery. It's from the echinacea family and has a double bloom. The petals are the same color as the purple cone flower. It blooms from summer to fall and can live in zones 4-8. It's so unique I just love it. I think it's been a long road to cultivate this plant as I do not see it in the nurseries. If you come across it, buy it! It's so worth it.

If you google razzmatazz, click on the website that has perennials.com in it. There's a great picture of the flower.

Last edited by Torrie; 07-05-2007 at 11:51 AM..

Old 07-05-2007, 01:46 PM

75 posts, read 255,060 times
CBB, your peonies are beautiful. I agree with you, the tree peony is worth having. I love the trunk(s).
Shelly

Old 07-05-2007, 05:16 PM

232 posts, read 734,428 times
Who can argue with the small and audacious Johnny Jump-up

Old 07-05-2007, 07:24 PM

8 posts, read 26,984 times
This would be very hard for me to answer...
I collect alot of flowers and plants...I have over 100 types of named sedums, over 100 types of named daylilies ( and i do so love the ruffles and the eyes )...but I have three small ponds and enjoy my water plants, columbines, tropicals, brugmansias, I could go on and on. I'm afraid I'm a bit of an obsessive gardener, but at least it's good clean ...errrr dirty fun !

Old 07-05-2007, 08:23 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,906 posts, read 6,054,751 times
I have this huge yard, and although it's in the redwoods, it also has open places, and I have lots of plants that grow in more shady areas. My favorite, though, in my yard is something I had never seen until I moved here. The woman who owned the house before me was a horticulturalist and she planted all kinds of things. I especially love my Trumpet Flowers, too! They smell so wonderful! And I have jasmine and a little orange tree, and those blossoms are so fragrant!

My favorite, which I actually had to have the botanical garden people come out an identify the things I had because I couldn't tell, is the Brazilian Plume flower. It is in bloom now and has these really large and beautiful purple/pinkish plumes. They bloom several times during the year -- they are quite a surprise because often it is just the bush with these leaves, and then suddenly, poof, all those big, purple-pink flowers! Here are some in one part of my yard:

Old 07-09-2007, 09:36 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,204,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
Who can argue with the small and audacious Johnny Jump-up

Oh gosh, I grew up in CA with Johnny-Jump-Ups. I love them!! They are so happy!!

I also love Fuschia, Bougainvillea, Zinnias, Portulaca, Hollyhocks, Pansies, Roses..........Oh my goodness, there are just too many to mention.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:44 AM

264 posts, read 686,515 times
Right now the oriental lilies are blooming. They're tall, have large beautiful blooms, and their fragrance is heavenly! They need to be in a sandy soil though, otherwise the bulbs might rot.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:41 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,457,520 times
I love lilies, straw flowers, Jasmine (smells like Gardenias and in the same family) Lilacs... For shade I love impatients and Hostas.

I love all kinds of flowers hard for me to narrow it down lol

Wisteria, those flowers are beautiful!!! That is so neat a horticulturist lived at your house...

Old 07-26-2007, 09:36 AM

1,833 posts, read 5,679,216 times
Pretty much any native wildflower, I plant them by the pound (less mowing) to many nothing is nicer than your native wildflowers plant in mass with a rainbow of color, formal gardens bore me as to me they look like nothing but work, I like the nature look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or