U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:31 PM

713 posts, read 2,741,739 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of starting a small vegetable garden about 100 sq.ft. in size. How big of a garden do you guys have and tell me if it is more fun in having a bigger one or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 07:43 AM

8,652 posts, read 13,916,131 times
I don't have one now because of the tree shade in my yard, but you can grow a lot in a 10 X 10 garden.....

Have fun and good eating....It will be better than anything you buy in a store...

Old 02-23-2010, 10:08 AM

5,061 posts, read 12,311,685 times
That is a good size to start with, and you can increase the size if you wish next year. I'm so envious, we have an acre but it's heavily wooded, so we don't get much sun. I do my best to squeeze in some tomato plants around our deck, but they struggle. I have to limit my gardening to part-sun perennial gardens.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:59 AM

1,034 posts, read 3,502,098 times
I have an above-ground garden that is approximately 4' x 6'. I grow one tomato plant, one sweet pea plant, four spinaches and two bell peppers. In the summer, I'm sure the spinach will fade away but the peppers and tomatoes will take over. Here in Phoenix, my dirt is so hard to work with. It requires a lot of work to get it right for growing an in-ground garden. I'm happy with my little garden. I also have a trough with some herbs in it.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:29 PM

1,355 posts, read 5,347,869 times
If this is your first year gardening? I think that a 10x10 space is a great starter. If you have room to add more space for vine plants, that might be a good idea. Watermelons, pumpkins, cukes, etc. take up alot of room. We expand our garden each year. This year our garden is about 35x25. There are two big gardens at my moms house. The front garden is about 50x30 and the back garden is about 80x50. Between my parents, my sister, and I, we can produce alot of food from our gardens. This year we are going to trade veggies for fresh eggs with the neighbor.

We grow alot of herbs in pots to save room in the garden. We have a real problem with deer here. But so far the deer seem to leave certian herbs alone, so I have them outside my regular gardens in pots. Parsley, green onions, basil, rosemary, and cilantro have not been touched by the deer.

As for a larger garden being fun, its yes and no. I really enjoy gardening. Even though its alot of work, it is nice feeding my family fresh food from our garden. By the time Nov 1 rolls around, I am happy to be done with the garden. But, by Jan 1st, I cannot wait to start again. My kids are alot of help too. They are 7 and 10 and can plant/harvest most veggies.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:09 PM

713 posts, read 2,741,739 times
thanks for all the info, I got some Red Creole Onions in some cups at home, since it recommends starting them 10-12 weeks before last frost, bit late now but after they grow a bit I'll transplant them into the ground. Got them from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds and plan to buy more from them in the future. Even sent me some free Cilantro Herb seeds

Old 02-27-2010, 09:16 AM

15,313 posts, read 46,104,885 times
We trimmed back to about 75' x 75', but squash and cucumbers take a lot of rambling room. We use ours for creating a serious portion of our diet, so our goals are different that those of folks with a small garden. Small gardens can be fun and productive, especially if you do wide rows of various lettuces and salad vegetables, and have a few pots of herbs in the area. Small patches of corn are almost always a disappointment, so choose your vegetables wisely and don't worry about size. Enjoy.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:46 AM

4,315 posts, read 7,615,432 times
I am a newbie at gardening. Started with two 4' X 8' raised beds last year. Being a newbie was fun although I made some mistakes along the way. For example I was very proud of the fact that all my tomato & bell peppers seedlings grew successfully, but someone forgot to told me that I did not need to plant ALL the seeds that came with the packets. I ended up with 72 seedling plants and had to cull out half of them because of lack of space.

Also those flimsy tomato cages that they sell at big box stores did not work very well. As soon as they start growing tomatoes, the weight will tilt the cage one side or another and the plant lost support.

Since my garden is a combination of my curiosity, interest, and naive ambition, I like to experiment with variety of veggies. I am broadening myself into carrots, spinach, broccoli & cauliflower and with a much limited tomatoes & bell peppers this year.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:44 AM

19,791 posts, read 14,852,013 times
my gardens tend to experience a yearly 'creep' to the point where it can get out of hand. i keep adding more and more stuff..
this year i plan on 2 plots, each about 12'x20'.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:21 AM

15,313 posts, read 46,104,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
my gardens tend to experience a yearly 'creep' to the point where it can get out of hand. i keep adding more and more stuff..
this year i plan on 2 plots, each about 12'x20'.
Wait until it gets to be a teenager and stops creeping. You'd best buy more land now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden