Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 01:35 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
I am really upset by my neighbor. They did not even discuss with us beforehand. We are good neighbors and certainly would ask if it would be okay. We have even go so far as to go halves in what we thought was taking down a tree which is on their property. As it turned out they got someone who said the tree could be saved (it was 2/3 dead), and they topped it off and cleaned up some dead branches. It looks terrible. Now right next to the monster tree is a five foot pole with a dish attached. We have a beautiful deck and use it often......had a wonderful view.
We have our dish attached to the house as do our other neighbors. Maybe the dish guy was lazy and didn't want to go up a ladder in the cold.

It is pointless to check with HOA because it is not yet turned over to the homeowner's and the builder would not get involved. I don't want to make enemies with them. But I feel they were complete jerks to do this without mentioning anything to us. Oh they did leave a message on our machine yesterday saying they wanted to "talk" to us about something. Well, that's nice. I come come and there it is already.

We just had them over for a super bowl party.

I know it can be screened with some Leyland cypress. But I will never feel friendly to them again.
And this is why I won't buy a place with an HOA. I don't want others telling me what I can and cannot do with my own space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,363 times
My neighbor put their satillite dish on my side of the roof. I live in a adjoining brownstone townhouse; this is too close for comfort. I want to put a rooftop patio there and now their dish is an obstruction.
The problem is I don't know which neighbor because this is a sting of connecting homes.

queen

Old 06-13-2010, 07:50 PM

44,346 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Two words: Privacy Fence.

How nice that you had a lovely view of THEIR backyard. Gheesh! Are you serious? It's their freakin property! And it could be a lot worse than a satellite dish.
It certainly could. The guy next door to me works on cars as a hobby. His backyard completely ruins the view from my backyard and out the back windows of my house. He has at least six junky cars out there, and parts everywhere, and packaging materials (which often blow over into my yard), and plastic dishpans with used motor oil in them, and . . . well, you get the picture. Plus there is the constant noise all summer long when he's working out there, plus the noise and fumes when he sits there and revvs the engines, and the fumes from the spray painting. But it's his yard, and I have no right to tell him not to have all that junk back there. I just put up with it.

Gee, one little satellite dish doesn't sound too bad to me..... want to trade, OP?

Old 06-14-2010, 07:28 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
This is exactly why I wont be with an HOA either. I find that privacy fences work very well when the neighbor has something offensive in his yard to me . It also keeps my offenses out of his view as well . I believe people have the right to do what they want with their own home . I had a neighbor who opened up a day care in her home and some of the neighbors did not like it , I mentioned that it did not bother me and that maybe she needs the money to pay for her mortgage since her husband had been out of work for awhile . I would gladly trade a satelite dish for a day care or a car garage anyday . Just remember things could be far worse than a satelite dish .

Old 06-14-2010, 08:12 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
It certainly could. The guy next door to me works on cars as a hobby. His backyard completely ruins the view from my backyard and out the back windows of my house. He has at least six junky cars out there, and parts everywhere, and packaging materials (which often blow over into my yard), and plastic dishpans with used motor oil in them, and . . . well, you get the picture. Plus there is the constant noise all summer long when he's working out there, plus the noise and fumes when he sits there and revvs the engines, and the fumes from the spray painting. But it's his yard, and I have no right to tell him not to have all that junk back there. I just put up with it.

Gee, one little satellite dish doesn't sound too bad to me..... want to trade, OP?
Oh, wow....you have my sympathies!

Are you sure it's legal for him to do that? Even our little backwater town has laws against that kind of stuff....or do you not live in town?

The worst part about something like that is, it ruins YOUR property value, so you can't sell out and leave if you wanted to! I have a junky neighbor, too (not as bad as yours! whew!), but hopefully they won't be here long and won't still be here junking up the neighborhood when my husband retires and we're ready to downsize.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 6,182 times
OK! Everyone who has not spent over $300,000.00 for their home shut your pie hole. Those dishes are UGLY. I have wanted a dish for TWO YEARS but because the lazy satellite dish guys say it,s got to be in the front yard I have passed due to consideration to my neighbors. Can they put it up? YES! There is No law saying they can't put up satellite dishaes or PINK Flamingos. As a law abiding citizen I will shut up and not bother them but it doesn't cover the fact that it is still ugly. Maybe put a clothes lines with some underware on it or why not just put an outhouse out next the street across from your front yard! They have the right and frredom to do whatever they want but I also have the freedom and taste to see that it is ugly, ugly and more ugly. People still color their hair orange and with unique cut mohawks.....doesn't make it attractive, just different but still ugly.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:31 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
At least the sat dish doesn't bark for 16 hours a day.
And if I missed something in the post, I read that the dish is on a 5 foot pole in the back yard. All homes are a minimum 8 feet tall. So does that mean that the view of a house wall is being blocked?
re: concerning HOA involvement. As per the FCC, HOA's can not ban antennas or sat dishes. The HOA regs can suggest that no ant/dish be installed on the front of the house if you can receive a signal from the sides or rear of the house. AND because subscription to cable/dish is getting too expensive, many people are dropping the service and going back to the old fashion roof antenna to receive all the multiple digital HDTV signals from local broadcasters.

Last edited by d4g4m; 07-24-2010 at 01:48 PM..

Old 07-25-2010, 12:15 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
AND because subscription to cable/dish is getting too expensive, many people are dropping the service and going back to the old fashion roof antenna to receive all the multiple digital HDTV signals from local broadcasters.
Yep....no cable or satellite at my house, never has been. All that money and there's never anything interesting on anyway! I'd rather read a book.....or watch an Andy Griffith DVD!

Old 02-21-2016, 03:34 PM

14 posts, read 16,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Lots of times people just read the first post and hit "reply".

A year from now someone might come along for the first time, read this post, and reply....then it moves back up to the front of the line and people will start discussing it all over again!
Let's make it 6 years...
Dish goes where it needs to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden