U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-11-2010, 08:44 AM

501 posts, read 933,200 times
Default Neighbors tree is touching my home, what should I do.

My neighbor's homes in our neighborhood are about 10 feet apart. We all have deep backyards (.25 acre). The neighbor planted a pine tree 3 years ago 3 FEET from his house on the corner! That means the pine tree is only 7 feet from my house and the branches are already touching my house.

The main issue will be gutter cleaning. Our gutters are too tall to clean ourselves and we have to hire a professional to clean them once a year. There are no other trees that close to our home so our gutters don't get full easily until now. The tree is now just tall enough to hang over the lowest gutters.

It bothers me that the tree touches our home (I don't want mold growth on the roof from the lack of sunlight that the tree is encouraging), I also don't want the roots to cause a crack in our foundation in 10 years, even more my neighbor's water line runs right beside the tree...so you know what's gonna happen in 10 years...bad for them, I also don't want the hassle of hiring people to prune the part that touches our home and to clean the gutters more frequently.

I'm I being crazy...or am I right? The tree is 10 foot tall and on my neighbor's property, but branches are currently touching my home, what should I do?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 08:49 AM

1,806 posts, read 3,634,128 times
Check your local ordinance - neighbor might be required to maintain pruning - meaning he pays to have it trimmed or does it himself. If the root system becomes invasive, he is often responsible for having it removed. This is not always the case, but with a quick search of City Government you can find the answer. As far as the gutter goes...I think that's going to be left to you. 'Never heard of someone having to tend another person's gutter.

Have you spoken with the neighbor or is it one of those uncomfortable situations?

Old 03-11-2010, 08:58 AM

4,006 posts, read 12,755,889 times
Normally you can prune anything extending into your property. It may not solve your gutter issue but you can minimize damage from contact.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:28 AM

9,709 posts, read 13,227,262 times
I don't know about your city's ordinances, but anything that grows onto my property line I can hack off at will. If the neighbor's fruit trees branch over and grow onto my side, I get to keep the fruit too.

Definitely check with the proper authorities in your area first, though. Once you know what the law is, then I would recommend going over to the neighbor and letting him know that you'll be cutting back his tree in the portion that has grown onto your property.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:44 AM

6,042 posts, read 6,402,444 times
Plant one on your property that will be sure to touch his house when it grows and send him a message that way.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:09 AM

24,829 posts, read 30,109,705 times
I'm confused. The tree is 10 feet tall, seven feet from your house, and branches are touching your house? Is it a square tree? What are the branches doing to your neighbor's house?

Next ... The tree is only 10 feet tall and the branches in your gutters already? And that's too high for you to clean the gutters yourself? Two or three steps up onto a ladder ought to do it.

Something ain't right.

That being said ... You're not right. Your neighbors can plant a tree wherever they please on their property.

What you can do first is ask the neighbor to prune the offending branch. If he/she refuses, ask for permission to go onto the property and do it yourself. If the neighbor still refuses, then you can prune whatever you can without going over the property line.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:27 AM

1,806 posts, read 3,634,128 times
Trees and Neighbors FAQ - Real Estate

Old 03-11-2010, 11:43 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,343,958 times
#1, ask the neighbor to prune the tree and talk to them about considering relocating it.
#2, install gutter screens over your gutters to prevent debris from cloggin them up so frequenly. This may lengthen the time between service calls from your gutter cleaners.
#3, enjoy the tree. Living in AZ, I love it when my neighbor's trees overflow into my yard. It makes things greener, attracts birds and other critters, and offers shade. But we just don't have enough trees around here.

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2010, 05:49 AM

4,772 posts, read 7,543,191 times
Check with your town to find out what kind of ordinances you have. You'll probably have to discuss the issue with your neighbor and ask if they can prune the tree, but depending on your town, you might be able to do it yourself. Most likely you can. It can be difficult living in such close quarters with your neighbors on small lots like yours, but your neighbor should be held accountable for any potential damage to your home from his tree, if his tree is hanging over your property. You might also talk to your insurance company regarding your homeowner's policy, and see what they suggest.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:27 AM

8,479 posts, read 9,521,816 times
Pull it up before it gets any larger, but do it around 2 AM so you don't get caught, then blame it on the neighbor teenagers....

I'm just kidding you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden