U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 06:19 AM

93 posts, read 44,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Is this what it looks like?

Controlling Creeping Charlie
No. Those leaves are too small and my vine/weed does not seem to flower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 09:22 AM

351 posts, read 697,589 times
I have what looks like Creeping Charlie in my new yard. Yikes, in looking it up, it appears to be poisonous, and I have little dogs! I will have to be more aggressive about keeping it out of my yard.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:36 PM

644 posts, read 609,436 times
Creeping Charlie....we call it creeping Jennie. I kind of like it. It grows low and so doesn't need to be mowed and it has those pretty mini flowers. It is drought tolerant. It is green.
What more do you want for a lawn.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:48 AM

7,089 posts, read 8,022,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
Hey, clover is great for your lawn! It adds nitrogen.

I agree with the other posts about Creeping Charlie (if you break up the leafs do they smell like mint?).
Much to my wife's chagrin, I planted a good bit of clover in our yard (about 2.5 acres cleared w/veggie garden) the clover clippings are great for garden, it's that nitrogen thing that plants do and bees love it. The more things I have in the yard that flower, the more bees will come in and help with the garden too.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:22 AM

434 posts, read 593,084 times
I like clover in a yard. We had it in the grass in Illinois. It is so soft to walk on. Just don't walk in it barefoot. I have been stung twice. I finally learned my lesson. Those clover flowers smell soooo good and I love the tang of chewing on a stem. Now that we live in NM our yard problems are worse. That nasty grass, creeping charlie, and mustard are awful.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:49 PM

10,871 posts, read 7,549,291 times
I've never noticed it in the lawn but we get it in the garden and a lot grows across the street in the weeds. I pull it out when we plant and whenever I see it. I don't hate it as much as some other weeds. There's a weed with little yellow flowers and clover like leaves. It gets little seed pods that look like bananas. Then there's a sorrel that looks like ground ivy and has little red strawberries, that is a pain. I think its called sheep something.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:06 PM

434 posts, read 593,084 times
In NM we also have what looks like a dainty green plant with pretty little flowers. They are goatsheads and they are awful. The first year I moved here I thought it was so pretty to see some green growing in the yard. Thankfully a friend set me straight. My dad had told her not to let them grow.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:53 PM

3,192 posts, read 3,529,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottery Collector View Post
I am sorry that I do not have a picture to show you, but I have these little clumps of what look like small round leaf vines popping up everywhere in my lawn. I see it in other lawns as well. They pull out very easy, but are very stiff. It is as if a plane went overhead and spread a vine seed all over everyone's lawn.

Is this something that normally happens in this part of NC? Any clue as to what this little vine is?

vetch? http://archive.energyfarms.net/files/user104/vetch_0.jpg (broken link)
It isn't very stiff, though.

honeysuckle? Google Image Result for http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/CAPS/pestInfo/pics/big/japaneseHoneysuckle.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden