Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:28 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I wish people would stop pouring POISON in the ground just because you don't "like" what is growing there. It's incredibly wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
WOW ~~ I so agree with you. People don't think of the environment.
Ever hear of Kudzu? Sometimes it is worth using chemical warfare. To bad we didn't have herbicides in the 30s

Sometimes a balance is necessary.

Last edited by Mr5150; 05-06-2010 at 09:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 06:32 AM

445 posts, read 1,604,700 times
What would be best to use on a clump of Hydrangeas... They are very nice looking but they sit on the edge of the road and completely block my mother's vision of on coming cars... The plants are on the road right of way so I feel ok about taking them out Cutting them would be easy but somewhat difficult to do late at night.. Any home brewed remedies that will not hurt the environment ??? If not - I have two quarts of undiluted Roundup ????

Old 05-08-2010, 07:52 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Hummmmmm, the only Eco-friendly method I know is to rent a couple of dozen Pandas.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:35 AM

111 posts, read 326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenoid View Post
What would be best to use on a clump of Hydrangeas... They are very nice looking but they sit on the edge of the road and completely block my mother's vision of on coming cars... The plants are on the road right of way so I feel ok about taking them out Cutting them would be easy but somewhat difficult to do late at night.. Any home brewed remedies that will not hurt the environment ??? If not - I have two quarts of undiluted Roundup ????
If you feel it is okay, why sneak around? Hydrangeas...assuming you mean the large poofy flowering garden bush...are they on a neighbor's property? Ask them to move them. I'm sure they'd rather move them to a different section of their yard then have you destroy them.

As far as environment, roundup is safer than the "home remedies" people cook up...like salt, vinegar...because it does not stay in the environment or change the soil. Cutting (or moving) the hydrangeas is best. The flowering poofy hydrangeas don't grow on their own so they probably belong to somebody.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:16 PM

445 posts, read 1,604,700 times
Past experience tells me that "It is easier to seek foregiveness than get permission" They (yes the puffy flowering bush) have been a vision obstacle for several years - I used to try to get the county to do what they claim they do but that is pretty much a waste of time.. Yes they do belong to someone - where they are, it is either the state or county. They are maintained by a garden service that really should know better than placing them outside the property owner's property lines and not maintain them according to ordinance..

What about gin - yes the alcoholic drink

Old 05-09-2010, 10:52 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
i'm surprised nobody has suggested the obvious answer of buying a panda bear

Old 05-11-2010, 12:04 AM

18 posts, read 24,127 times
If you buy a panda bear, will you rent it out?
We could use a visit, due to our neighbor's children's Father's Day gift back a bit.
The internet is filled with people trying to rid their invasive bamboo.
You could make millions!!!

Old 05-11-2010, 01:01 AM

494 posts, read 890,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
WOW ~~ I so agree with you. People don't think of the environment.
When the choice is to use an herbicide to kill poison ivy in my backyard, or to satisfy your "green" horror and instead let my kids and dogs come into contact with it...too bad, my kids win. I'm spraying that sh*t the minute I see a vine.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:14 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,400,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
When the choice is to use an herbicide to kill poison ivy in my backyard, or to satisfy your "green" horror and instead let my kids and dogs come into contact with it...too bad, my kids win. I'm spraying that sh*t the minute I see a vine.

HEY ~~ have you EVER thought of using a "green" herbicide . I totally understand a parents concern for children and pets. Believe it or not, everyone is entitled to their opinions ~~ and I do respect yours.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:24 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,136,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
i'm surprised nobody has suggested the obvious answer of buying a panda bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Hummmmmm, the only Eco-friendly method I know is to rent a couple of dozen Pandas.
Ha, like minds!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden