U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 06:38 PM

452 posts, read 748,857 times

Advertisements

I just received a mail order from www.Tulipworld.com, that were just beautifully packed, and healthy. Also, the same to www.VanBourgondien/Dutchbulbs.com (http://www.VanBourgondien/Dutchbulbs.com - broken link),

Many of the mail-order small firms have fallen into the hands of Corporate America, which has not been doing a very good job. Beware of one address in Four Seasons Road, in the Chicago/Bloomington area. They also use different names to fool the public. The name of the nursery starts with Hon...........they sent me junk.......plants on 2 inch pots, with barely no soil, dead, and when I complained...........all I received was the runaround.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 06:41 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,437,718 times
I know of at least one mail order place in South Carolina which I had been very pleased with in the past that has gotten very poor reviews from buyers. The initials of this place is W.G. I will be buying my plants this year locally.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:49 PM

452 posts, read 748,857 times
Default Correction

VanBourgordien, goes only by the www.dutchbulbs.com

Old 04-04-2010, 08:11 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,711,785 times
After much bad luck with a variety of mail order places, I finally went local, an agricultural co-op, I know it is fairly wide spread in the south, deals with people like me for some landscaping stuff and a small 1/4 acre veggie garden, they also work with big time serious farmers. Their goods are first rate and reasonably priced.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:47 AM

964 posts, read 1,973,154 times
I've had mixed luck overall with mail order. It pays to research any company, a lot of gardening forums online are full of advice on who has their act together, VS who is lousy.

I like to keep it local as much as possible, but I do grow a lot of hard-to-find things, and sometimes mail order is going to be your only option with rare plants.

I dealt with two nurseries - on in New England and one in Florida - that were highly regarded, and my experience was a bit less wonderful.

However, I've gotten rare seeds from a company in California that was outstanding, and ordered dwarf 1-year grafted citrus for containers from another company out there, and with those two the service and quality was outstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or