Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:41 AM

20 posts, read 22,606 times

Advertisements

What's the best apple tree to grow right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 11:45 AM

433 posts, read 1,142,904 times
It depends on what you like. We like honey crisp. My hubby got me a dwarf one called pixie crunch from Gurneys that is supposed to taste even better than honey crisp.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:13 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
It depends upon your zone and your taste buds. It will take most trees a number of years to produce fruit so plan ahead!

http://www.starkbros.com/

Old 04-06-2010, 02:43 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Has anybody heard of a Golden Russet? Any idea where you can get them and are they good for cider?

Old 04-07-2010, 07:36 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
There is no 'best' variety of apple tree.

Every variety is different. It depends a great deal on what you want from an apple.

We did some research on this when we were first drawing our future orchard. If you use dwarf fruit trees, you can plant them closer together, and therefore plant more trees in the same space.

However when viewed in a square-foot context an orchard of dwarf trees will produce 60% of the fruit harvest that you would get from full-sized fruit trees. So for planting, watering, and pruning more trees you get less harvest.

We decided to go with full-sized trees. Granted you end up planting less trees, but your harvest is much more.

First we planted 16 apple trees.

I planted our apple trees in raised beds due to the high moisture in our forest.

I selected our apple trees first by harvest season; one group of trees that ripens mid-fall, and a second group that ripens in late fall to early winter.

Secondly we selected one variety in each group that produces an apple known for high sugar content, and two varieties noted for tart or acid content.

Our hope being to spread out the harvest a bit, so as not to over-load us with apples all at once. And also to provide two different blends of apple juices for fermenting cider.

Following is the list of what apple trees we planted. The number of trees, and then a description of their fruit.

We avoided all of the summer varieties, and tried to avoid having all apples coming into harvest all at once.

4- 'Sweet 16 Apples': harvested Early Fall. Whenever anyone eats a Sweet 16 for the first time, you know they will be surprised. Fine-textured crisp flesh contains an astounding unusually complex combination of sweet nutty and spicy flavors with slight anise essence, sometimes described as cherry, vanilla or even bourbon. Truly excellent fresh eating, although it is too sweet for some pallets. Round-conic bronze-red medium-sized fruit, striped and washed with rose-red.

2- 'Prima Apples': harvested Fall. Medium-large roundish fruit has rich yellow skin with a striking orange-red blush. Mildly subacid juicy white flesh provides excellent eating and makes good cider. Keeps a couple of months.

4- 'Minnesota 447 apples': harvested Fall-Winter. Developed at the University of Minnesota before 1936, but never introduced. This massively flavored dessert apple—not for the faint of heart—provides a whole new level of culinary experience. Likely the most distinctive and unusual apple I’ve ever tried. Astonished friends have described its flavor as strange, molasses, olives, fabulous, sweet, complex and sugar cane. The roundish fruit is medium-sized and entirely covered with dark bluish-purple stripes. The aromatic crisp crystalline flesh is an apricot-orange color with occasional red staining, so juicy it’ll run down your hand. Years ago David Bedford of the University of Minnesota said they would never release it because it didn’t taste like an apple. Joyfully they changed their minds.

2- 'Cortland Apples': harvested Fall-Winter Medium to medium-large slightly ribbed dull red fruit with a purple blush. Excellent eating and cooking. Slow-oxidizing white flesh is very good in salads; fine-grained, crisp, tender, juicy. Produces a surprisingly delightful cider, fresh or fermented, in a mix or even on its own. Vigorous tall upright spreading tree with reddish bark. Annual producer of heavy crops.

2- 'Esopus Spitzenburg apples': harvested Fall-Winter. Without peer in flavor and quality. A choice dessert and culinary apple, mentioned in nearly every list of best-flavored varieties. Slightly subacid, crisp and juicy. Famous for being Thomas Jefferson’s favorite apple. Medium-large bright-red round to mostly conic fruit, covered with russet dots. Excellent acid source for sweet or fermented cider.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:12 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,030,541 times
Of several types that we grew, Liberty was one of my favorites.

The variety grows well. But it also adds a nice amount of color to the landscape or garden with the bright red color.
Attached Thumbnails
apple trees-apple2.jpg  

Old 04-11-2010, 01:08 PM

974 posts, read 1,587,160 times
I am thinking of planting some Apple trees. I live in SW Missouri and our ground is very rocky. Is this viable? Or do I need to make some raised area's to plant them?

Old 04-11-2010, 01:33 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
I am thinking of planting some Apple trees. I live in SW Missouri and our ground is very rocky. Is this viable? Or do I need to make some raised area's to plant them?
Yes you can do that.

Here our issues start with standing water. If you plant in the ground the root-ball may end up being very near to, or even bisecting the water-table.

'Wet feet' is the problem.

So I made 4' by 4' raised beds, maybe 6" tp 8" high to plant our trees in. The issue here is to keep the rootball above the water-table.

In a drought-prone area like Missouri, you could still do small raised beds. I would be concerned more about water. Having raised beds may tend to cause the soil to be slightly drier. Until such time as each tree's roots are able to reach the water-table, they will require routine watering.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:50 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

2- 'Esopus Spitzenburg apples': harvested Fall-Winter. Without peer in flavor and quality. A choice dessert and culinary apple, mentioned in nearly every list of best-flavored varieties. Slightly subacid, crisp and juicy. Famous for being Thomas Jefferson’s favorite apple. Medium-large bright-red round to mostly conic fruit, covered with russet dots. Excellent acid source for sweet or fermented cider.

Best apple is right. The trees are vulnerable to about every problem there is but it's well worth it.

Jefferson had good tastes in apples...the newtown pippin and hewes crabapple are excellent. The missing taliaferro may have been found in a remote orchard too but I've yet to see trees grafted from it widely available.

Some of my other favorites are granny smith, jonathan, and there's many old and rare varieties to be found in New England that make the supermarket "red delicious" apples taste like flour...

Old 04-11-2010, 05:52 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
I think Vermont has MO beat for rocky soil. It can be done. Dig out all the rocks you can (more will rise to the surface but the important thing is get the worst ones out, though we have nice stone walls here resulting from farmers digging up all the rocks every year for centuries). Then build up the soil with manure, compost, etc. Raising the soil (raised beds) would work but you're in an area prone to droughts and the beds will have dryness issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden