U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 09:13 PM

21,259 posts, read 20,859,174 times

Advertisements

When we had our yard professionally landscaped about five years ago, the designer put in which I'm pretty sure must have been Lupines. I'm not 100% sure since I can't find his initial plans where he showed what he'd be planting where. I'm just going by pictures I've been looking at, trying to identify them.

The reason I'm posting is that I think I became over-zealous a couple of years ago, and in cleaning up the dead stuff in the fall, I suspect I pulled up the Lupines by the roots since not one flower came up last spring. So...

When is the best time to plant them? (I'm in hardiness zone 6.)
Should I buy partially grown plants or seeds? (Please don't say seeds; I'm much too impatient unless that is really my best option.)
What else do I need to know? (I'll be planting them where they thrived before, so I am pretty sure the soil and light they'll be getting is right for them.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 11:50 PM

2,956 posts, read 11,040,330 times
Seeds. You can buy lupines in pots but they're expensive--I've seen them up to $10 per plant. Seeds are cheap.

Growing lupines from seed - Cottage Garden Forum - GardenWeb

How to Grow Lupine From Seed | Garden Guides

Old 04-12-2010, 04:52 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,696,007 times
I've always had Lupines. Except they seem to be making appearances every other year. I plant some seedlings every year and enjoy when they flower, but they have yet to come back every year in my zone 4-5 garden in upstate NY.
There is no reason why you can't buy seedlings to put out in your garden this year and wait to see if they come back next year.
Best of luck,
Pam

Old 04-12-2010, 02:46 PM

2,776 posts, read 6,964,466 times
Lupines grow wild (feral escapees from long ago) in all the coastal areas of northern Maine, that's considered zone 5-6. They are considered to be perennial but many strains are biennials and spread by rhizome root systems, so most folks around here share or buy plants rather than mess with seeds. As I said they are biennial so they will flower 1-2 years then die off while the newer sprouts take off, just like columbine. So plant a sizable bed for it to be self-sustaining. They are capable of fixing nitrogen to the soil so they tend to like poor soils with really good drainage.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Lupines grow wild (feral escapees from long ago) in all the coastal areas of northern Maine, that's considered zone 5-6. They are considered to be perennial but many strains are biennials and spread by rhizome root systems, so most folks around here share or buy plants rather than mess with seeds. As I said they are biennial so they will flower 1-2 years then die off while the newer sprouts take off, just like columbine. So plant a sizable bed for it to be self-sustaining. They are capable of fixing nitrogen to the soil so they tend to like poor soils with really good drainage.
Oh, so they are really biennials!!! That explains why they were so gorgeous for the first couple of years and then nothing!

How early in the year can I plant my seeds then if I'd in zone 6? Will I see some flowers this year?

And thanks to everybody who answered!

Old 02-01-2012, 03:20 AM

2 posts, read 5,471 times
Hi Katzpur! Here is a link that might be useful: Buy Sell Perennials Flowers Seeds Farm Supply Farmer Market

Old 02-02-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine View Post
Hi Katzpur! Here is a link that might be useful: Buy Sell Perennials Flowers Seeds Farm Supply Farmer Market
Thanks! I ended up planting something else last year, but they couldn't compare to the Lupines I originally had. I want to go back to Lupines.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:04 PM

31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Lupines are beautiful, but I can't think about or look at them without thinking about this ...

Monty Python- Dennis Moore - YouTube

Old 02-11-2012, 09:20 PM

236 posts, read 723,609 times
Seeds will do fine, just make sure the area they are in is well-drained and gets plenty of sunlight. If you're putting them in the same location, then you already know they'll do well there.

There are a lot of wild lupines in the Canadian Maritime provinces. Rumour is that they were grown by a Johnny Appleseed kind of guy who just liked them and tossed lupine seeds by the side of the road everywhere he went around the Maritimes. At least once they get going, they don't need a lot of maintenance....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or