U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:57 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,380,065 times
Arrow Blueberry Bushes

Hubby and I love blueberries and want to grow our own. Yesterday we bought two bushes (Duke and Bluecrop.)

Before planting them, we would appreciate any advice/tips posters here can give us. Neither of us has a green thumb so we can use all the help we can get!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 05:17 PM

147 posts, read 335,755 times
Blueberries are acid loving plants. Your soil will need a ph of 5 or less for them to do well. My soil here is very alkaline, to the point where acid loving plants just die off. I built raised beds for my blueberries and used miracle grow potting mix and they do very well. I use ironite and blood meal to keep the growing mix acid enough for them. You can buy a soil test kit at Lowe's for a few dollars and check the ph, then amend the soil accordingly. Pine needles make a good mulch for blueberries due to the acidity of them.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:37 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,474,297 times
mine died too. last one did not make it thru this past winter... never saw a bloom, nor a berry.
what a shame.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:59 PM
'M'

1,417 posts, read 1,400,047 times
To make a long story short, our yard was very acidic...we planted 4 blueberry plants and they died off by the next growing season. We bought these at a nursery in pots. The raspberries lived, but the deer manage to jump over the fence to eat them at times. We live at 7500 feet, so our growing season is very short. Oh, well...it was a good idea It's so difficult to grow anything in Paradise ((( sigh! )))

Old 04-20-2010, 06:02 AM

434 posts, read 599,952 times
I have read that coffee grounds can acidify the soil. I put my used grounds around the plants. They are only a couple of years old so I will see how it works.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:06 AM

2,740 posts, read 4,939,941 times
Coffee grounds, pine needles, composted deciduous leaves. Around here blueberries grow wild and they thrive in clearings under oak and pine.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:17 AM

12,539 posts, read 7,911,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8doglove View Post
Hubby and I love blueberries and want to grow our own. Yesterday we bought two bushes (Duke and Bluecrop.)

Before planting them, we would appreciate any advice/tips posters here can give us. Neither of us has a green thumb so we can use all the help we can get!
Hi gr8doglove,

Blueberries are on the extreme end of acid loving plants. They also have shallow hairless roots that drown easily. That is why they thrive in sandy peat which is acidic and quickly drained. So unless your soil meat these requirements , your plants will not do well. The best thing to do is plant them in an in ground 20-30 gallon container with the perfect soil mix.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:14 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,494,070 times
We were growing blueberry bushes and they were doing okay (they were transplants and we were surprised they did as well as they did). Just as they were growing berries swarms of birds came down and just about every berry.
We may attempt to start over, but we are not sure if we want to. We have a very large bird population and we seem to be on the migration trail. Plus we have nice big oak trees that they like to hang out in.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:16 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,380,065 times
Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. I didn't know that about coffee grounds. We are going to buy a soil test kit from Lowes this weekend. The dirt in our yard has some clay in it. I like the 30 gallon container idea.

I'll keep everyone posted on how our bushes are doing after we plant them.

Oh, how long will it be before our bushes yield fruit?

And we are going to put a big, plastic owl in the yard to keep the birds away.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:43 PM

147 posts, read 335,755 times
I got a few berries the first year with mine. I tried the plastic owl and I had a mockingbird that would perch on it just before he flew down and helped himself to some berries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden