Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 08:17 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,276,848 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I bought a new house recently and it has some minor drainage problems. I have Bermuda grass in my yard and water collects in several low spots of the yard. This attracts mosquitoes and spiders (don't know why spiders like water but it appears they do). Also these spots appear to have lots of clay/rock underneath the surface and these are spots where the grass won't grow.

I recently spread Scott's Grass Feed Bermuda down on these areas after I loosened the clay.

Do you think if I was to get grass growing in these areas it would help to soak up water? Or should I build up the soil there and drain it to other areas in the yard?

I don't think I can install a french drain or other drain as I would like a low cost solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I live in Texas.

Last edited by h152cc2; 04-19-2010 at 08:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 11:26 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,145,760 times
Quote:
Do you think if I was to get grass growing in these areas it would help to soak up water?
No.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
No.
Thanks for the post, could you please expand on your answer? What would you recommend I do?

Old 04-20-2010, 01:19 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,145,760 times
The best fix would probably be to lay some drainage pipes, but you said you don't want to do that.

Do you know how deep your clay goes? Do you have high water table?

Old 04-20-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
The best fix would probably be to lay some drainage pipes, but you said you don't want to do that.

Do you know how deep your clay goes? Do you have high water table?
Not sure how deep the clay goes, but I guess I could dig a hole to figure that out. How would I find out about the water table?

Old 04-20-2010, 03:45 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,712,001 times
If you live in Texas the clay soil in your yard goes all the way down to China.

Throw some dirt into the low spots attempting to level them with the rest of the yard. Then put some more grass seed into the new patches of soil. Hope for the best.

It is also possible that your yard is being overwatered in any case. As clay drains poorly overwatering is a bigger problem than it might be in a better soil. Many newer homes in TX come with sprinkler systems, programmed to put out just way too much water--set yours to water first thing in the morning and maybe less frequently than it is currently set for.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:08 PM

11,079 posts, read 17,498,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Throw some dirt into the low spots attempting to level them with the rest of the yard. Then put some more grass seed into the new patches of soil. Hope for the best.
We had to do that when we moved to this house. We had a driveway that sloped away from the house pretty bad. Called a man about leveling it up with rock. Since he charges a minimum of 3 hours ($85/hr) for his dozer. We also let him level part of our back yard. He did a great job hauling in 4 dump truck loads of good dirt and leveling it all out in one afternoon. No more wet spots!

Old 04-26-2010, 06:09 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,685,014 times
Here in NY we sometimes don't put in drainage pipes, but dig a bit of a trench and just fill with 1 to 2 inch rocks. You can do a width of 6 inches, but in one case we made it 12 or so inches wide to look like a gravel path since we happened to have a mud path from the end of our deck to our side yard. Worked like a charm! (but I admit we do not have clay soil, so I don't know if that would work in TX)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden