Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 02:22 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,378,476 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody.

I don't have a large vegetable garden at all, I just grow a few things "for fun." This is my second year trying, and I hope to do better than last year.

I brought home the following transplants: zucchinni, watermelon, gypsy peppers, bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes.

[ I put one zuke and one watermelon in the ground to see what they would do.. giving them plenty of space but I'm not positive if enough sun. I put the others in pots. I don't want to grow a lot of vegetables in the ground because I don't want to rip up my lawn right now. I don't have high expectations for the watermelon. ]

Soooo.... . what size pots would you transplant the above into? Do you do it just once, when you bring the little 4 inch pot home from the nursery? Or do you transplant more than once as they grow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 02:38 PM

147 posts, read 641,929 times
I have grown tomatoes and peppers in 5 gal buckets on my deck. Make sure the container has drainage holes in the bottom and use a good potting mix that drains well. I watered them when the mix felt dry down to the first joint on my index finger, used miracle grow in a watering can about every 2 weeks, and mulched with pea gravel to help retain moisture. Plants that are outside in pots will dry out a lot faster than plants in the ground. I harvested many Better Boy tomatoes the size of my fist.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:07 PM

200 posts, read 306,726 times
One thing about plants in containers...They will droop in the afternoon sun often. That does not mean they need water. If they are drooping in the morning...they need to be watered.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:34 PM

32,756 posts, read 35,956,419 times
I wouldn't put a cherry tomato in anything smaller than a 5 gallon pot or bucket. Most of them are indeterminate, meaning that the plant keeps growing... and growing all season long. In hot weather, you'll be watering that, soaking it, daily.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:51 PM

I appreciate all the responders so far.

As far as watering, I know that I will be watering everyday as soon as the real hot weather hits. This is Texas!

I have a few years successful experience with container gardening of flowers and herbs. I have found herbs especially easy to deal with. It is vegetables in particular of which I am clueless. The only one I had a lot of success with last year was a gypsy pepper which just kept giving and giving. I think I had it in a 14 inch pot. I grew roma tomatoes in my 4' x 2' planter, but I planted too late and we had such a long hot summer that the plant itself got enormous but grew no tomatoes until October/November. Then a bunch of them froze on the plant. I blew it!

From the advice so far, the pots I have used are way too small.

Thanks everybody, keep it coming!

Old 04-20-2010, 08:57 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,679,575 times
Watermelons in a container??
Attached Thumbnails
Vegetable Container Gardening from transplants-watermelon.jpg  

Old 04-20-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Watermelons in a container??
Like I said, that one is just for fun. The watermelon was $1.95 for 4 plants and I thought what the heck. I put one of them in the ground, and it's the one I have the highest hopes for.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:26 PM

11,008 posts, read 17,380,502 times
You might plant the watermelon in the container but before long it will be taking over your yard anyway. If you want to do this next year save some of the cardboard egg cartons. Put some potting soil and a seed in each egg holder. When it's time to transplant, separate each one, cut the bottom out, and plant.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:53 PM

13,534 posts, read 9,938,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Hey everybody.

I don't have a large vegetable garden at all, I just grow a few things "for fun." This is my second year trying, and I hope to do better than last year.

I brought home the following transplants: zucchinni, watermelon, gypsy peppers, bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes.

[ I put one zuke and one watermelon in the ground to see what they would do.. giving them plenty of space but I'm not positive if enough sun. I put the others in pots. I don't want to grow a lot of vegetables in the ground because I don't want to rip up my lawn right now. I don't have high expectations for the watermelon. ]

Soooo.... . what size pots would you transplant the above into? Do you do it just once, when you bring the little 4 inch pot home from the nursery? Or do you transplant more than once as they grow?
As for the Zucchini and Watermelon I would advise 24 inch or more, the bigger the better. It all depends how often you can water them.
For the Gypsy Peppers, Bell Peppers, and Cherry Tomatoes 12 inch or more will do.

Zucchini and Watermelon will need to be transplanted a couple of times. Remember when they get big, they are likely to get damaged while being transplanted, so don’t leave it to late.
Just transplant the Gypsy Peppers, Bell Peppers, and Cherry Tomatoes once, plant the Tomatoes deep, allowing for the stems to grow extra roots.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:34 AM

2,418 posts, read 3,539,297 times
Default Tansplants

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
You might plant the watermelon in the container but before long it will be taking over your yard anyway. If you want to do this next year save some of the cardboard egg cartons. Put some potting soil and a seed in each egg holder. When it's time to transplant, separate each one, cut the bottom out, and plant.
That is a great idea!! I wouldn't have thought about that, but now you are mentioning that, I am thinking that the crates that Yankee Candles come in would be useful too! I have been just recycling them, now I think I will keep them for the same purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden