U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 06:18 AM

7,730 posts, read 12,448,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
paperhouse- they are great pics and I really enjoy your blog. What kind of lilac can we grow in NC?
I think I'm in same zone in Chapel Hill you are in but people tell me I can't grow lilacs here. Going to the Farmers Market Saturday in Raleigh and hope to find your lilac.
Korean lilac. It's commonly known as Miss Kim. It's not as fragrant as the varieties they grow up north, but it does bloom with just a little cold. This winter sent it into overdrive. They grow to about 8' tall and wide if left unpruned. I got mine at Lowe's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 04:22 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,410,367 times
Great pictures everyone

I know I am not the only one that wishes they had "smell-a-vision" monitors

Hmm I wonder if I could grow the Korean lilac this far south we certainly got our share of cold this past winter

Old 04-25-2010, 11:53 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,700,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty rhodes View Post
aha!!! Oxalis, thanks, you've given me a name for them, they are in small clumps all over my yard, the only other thing i find blossoming in my yard now-a-days are my tomato plants, one broccoli i didn't pick quickly enough, and the rhododendron (sp?)

Old 04-26-2010, 06:02 AM

Karla, the Miss Kim is only hardy to zone 7b for it's upper range. It needs a few hundred hours of winter chill which you probably aren't going to get on a regular basis. Instead, you might opt for a Chinese Fringe tree, or the American version (hionanthus virginicus). They don't need as much winter chill to bloom. The white blooms are incredibly fragrant. They're sometimes hard to find.

Dusty, that oxalis pops up everywhere in my yard. It's also known as wood sorrel. It's highly invasive.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:31 AM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
I have no pictures, but I do have lilacs, iris, azalea, chives, and allium blooming right now. The late-season tulips are starting to fade, as are the violets that have been growing in deep shade. The rosemary in the herb garden -- now survived its second winter -- is blooming as well.

About to bloom: roses, dianthus, more allium, and daisies. That 90-degree blast we had a few weeks ago (I'm just NW of Philadelphia) sure speeded things along.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:00 PM

4,748 posts, read 6,148,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Chinese Fringe tree, or the American version (hionanthus virginicus)
If anyone goes looking for the fringe tree, be aware that it is Chionanthus instead of hionanthus. The common name around here is Grancy Graybeard. Also be aware that the loropetalum shrub is sometimes called Chinese Fringe, too.

One of my neighbors has a Grancy Graybeard that is amazing....it must be a male. I've never seen one so full of flowers as this one. And others that I've seen always put on a few leaves before starting to bloom...this one was solid flowers with no leaves. Wish I'd taken a picture when it was at its peak....it's on the downhill side now.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:55 AM

Thanks Luvvarkansas, Apparently I missed the C when I copied the name. I don't know all the botanical names, yet.

I took a photo of the one in my neighbor's yard last week. I can smell it from across the street when the wind blows the right way.

I like this fragrance more than the lilacs. It's very hard to describe.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:23 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 5 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,494,040 times
Beautiful pictures everyone. Our land is too big and I haven't done anything but start a vegetable garden.

Here is one of our many apple trees blossoming...and the bees are doing a great job.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:58 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,648,698 times
Pittosporum. Very pleasantly sweet, heady odor. Bees love it.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:24 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,937,595 times
Wow, I'm in New England and we got tons of snow yesterday and last night. Not much blooming here. The pictures are beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden