U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 07:55 PM

7,730 posts, read 12,445,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
thanks paperhouse
Do they get as big as the regular Rudbeckia ?
Ours have gotten close to 4' high , I originally planted them 5 years ago and they come back each year. I am ordering some of the red seeds to add to the bed.
Mine are about 2' tall and budding now. I should have blooms this week. As for size, they aren't anywhere near the spread of the normal yellow variety, but they seem to be holding their own. R. hirta is usually an annual for me, so I'm surprised they're coming back. They bloom themselves to death in a single year and don't always have the energy to return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 02:02 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,406,664 times
I think being shorter will work if I plant them in front it will give a nice contrast.
Oh when I said they come back I meant from the seeds they drop.
I was at my favorite family owned nursery yesterday and they said they occasionally get the cherry red in, they put me on the plant call list for the next time they get them.

We are about done for petunias because of the heat so I will be switching out the pots this week with something that doesn't mind the heat and humidity

Old 06-01-2010, 10:11 AM

14,810 posts, read 13,558,144 times
This is the most surprising thing I have ever seen. I've had bright fuchsia peonies blooming in my garden for years. You can see the remains of them in the background. This year, after the others had bloomed, a white peony has appeared. Where could it have come from? Anyone know?

First rose
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/seagrape/garden/firstroser.jpg (broken link)

Purple and white iris. Most of the irises are gone. This one is a "late bloomer"
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/seagrape/garden/purpleandwhiteirisr.jpg (broken link)

Garden sage. I grew this from seed and transplanted it last year. This year it has bloomed.http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/seagrape/garden/sageinbloomr.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-01-2010, 11:59 AM

Peonies produce seeds. It could be one that you never noticed that grew from one of those seeds. There's a white one down the street from me in a bed of pink ones. That'd be my guess.

I love Salvia officianalis. The purple blooms are beautiful. I planted some this year. I hope it makes it. Good to eat with pork too.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:06 PM

14,810 posts, read 13,558,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Peonies produce seeds. It could be one that you never noticed that grew from one of those seeds. There's a white one down the street from me in a bed of pink ones. That'd be my guess.

I love Salvia officianalis. The purple blooms are beautiful. I planted some this year. I hope it makes it. Good to eat with pork too.
I just checked it. It is a brand new plant that sprouted this year amidst the fuchsia ones that have been there for years. Could be a mutation. I've never had anything but the fuchsia ones. There is a tiny bud on the same plant that is pinkish right now. Would be a hoot if the bud blooms fuchsia and if it does, I'll be sure a post a picture of it.

Your sage may not bloom the first year. Mine didn't and I transplanted two small plants last year that I sprouted from seed.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:59 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,239,867 times
Some beautiful photographs of beautiful flowers. Very inspiring. I've got to try and get a few up of some of my new garden.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:16 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,406,664 times
I planted some Salvia officianalis (sage) from seeds during my "lets try growing different herbs" experiment (even though I don't use herbs). I am very excited because I didn't know it bloomed. They are now almost 10" tall so I will look for a spot in the garden for them so they will get bigger and hopefully bloom.

I love the Peonies I just did a little research and I may be able to grow them here in zone 9 I have a perfect spot that gets morning sun Time to talk to my favorite nursery

Old 06-03-2010, 04:58 PM

1,673 posts, read 5,525,089 times
A few things from my garden.

1. Geraniums
2. I forget !
3. Caldiums - love watching these guys come up. sedum to the right.
4. Shasta daises and lillies in the background.
5. Fair Maiden grass
6. Lily of the Vally (foreground) and a huge mound of Rudbeckia in the back. small variegated sedum to the right.
7. Another plant I can't remember.
8. hosta
Attached Thumbnails
Whats blooming in your yards or gardens picture thread-picture-169.jpg   Whats blooming in your yards or gardens picture thread-picture-170.jpg   Whats blooming in your yards or gardens picture thread-picture-171.jpg   Whats blooming in your yards or gardens picture thread-picture-173.jpg   Whats blooming in your yards or gardens picture thread-picture-175.jpg  

Whats blooming in your yards or gardens picture thread-picture-176.jpg   Whats blooming in your yards or gardens picture thread-picture-177.jpg   Whats blooming in your yards or gardens picture thread-picture-178.jpg  

Last edited by citydweller; 06-03-2010 at 05:09 PM..

Old 06-03-2010, 05:17 PM

#7 is Gaillardia or "Blanket Flower".

#2 is Heuchera. Not sure of the variety, but it's lovely. I have several myself.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:30 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,239,867 times
Nice pictures, citydweller! I'm intrigued by the frilly version of the Shasta daisy you have. Does it have a name? Eventually a tall Shasta will be making a home in my garden and that one looks like it would be a fun one to own. Right now I have two dwarf varieties that seem to be happy to bloom there.

Heuchera never did well in my old garden. Not sure if it was the soil, the (lack of) light or just plain gardener inexperience at the time, but they were a bit sparse and did not bloom as prolifically as pictures always showed. I just obtained a Creme Brulee variety at a local plant swap. It was hard to resist the unusual leaf color. The plant is pretty tiny, barely past seedling stage, and my current garden is mostly sun... so I parked it on the north/northeast side of the house and am hoping the small trees and house will provide enough shade and am trying to keep it well watered. If several Astilbe are thriving in the same general place what are my chances paperhouse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden