U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:47 AM

3,134 posts, read 5,820,840 times

Advertisements

I live in an apt. and feel fortunate to do what I want back here. We had late frosts plus I'm lazy so this is my start around June 1.

This area used to flood when it rained and was otherwise just mud and weeds. The woods gets flowers of it's own and by mid summer the vines will hang down to the ground if I let them.

Neighbors have donated lights, rocks and mulch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 05:23 PM

1,547 posts, read 3,716,029 times
Great job. It's fun watching gardens year to year as the plants mature and begin to fill in. To me that's especially rewarding.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:22 PM

7,730 posts, read 8,871,918 times
A new daylily I received in a trade from a local woman last year. I rooted some hibiscus and gave it to her. She told me it would be an orange, and I wasn't all that excited until I saw it bloom. Yes, it's as large as it looks. I figure 6-8" across easily.

And the butterfly bushes are just getting started. This bloom spike is about a foot long. I grew these plants last year from seed. This is their second summer. The tallest one is about 7' tall now.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:30 PM

257 posts, read 696,348 times
WOW- what a day lily!

Old 06-10-2010, 08:33 PM

34,260 posts, read 6,945,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
A new daylily I received in a trade from a local woman last year. I rooted some hibiscus and gave it to her. She told me it would be an orange, and I wasn't all that excited until I saw it bloom. Yes, it's as large as it looks. I figure 6-8" across easily.
Beautiful daylily, paperhouse! I've got some similar shaped daylilies, but they're a creamy yellow color. They'll probably be opening in about a week. They were included in a hybrid daylily collection I bought about 15 years ago through Spring Hill catalog. They're my favorites, because they're so unusual.

Keep on gardening, everyone!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:53 PM

4,139 posts, read 3,051,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Ghengis, the lupines picture is especially beautiful! I can't get lupines to grow in my soil. I'm envious!

Citydweller, your photo #2 looks like coral bells.

Cunucu, your pics are gorgeous!

There are so many lovely pictures to comment on. Thank you for sharing, everyone! Keep 'em coming!

We've had tons of rain the past couple of weeks, and my garden looks like it's going to burst forth into a riot of color any day now. I can't wait!
this makes it easy. I agree !

I wish I could post pictures. My garden is a cottage garden type and gets real messy at times so it might not photograph too well. It is an ever changing labor or love.....my tomatoes are playing out in the heat, plus cukes and the bush beans got lace bugs (?) on them. If I had more time, I would be a better gardener. I try. I will go out int he yard/garden several times a day for something and I just look and listen to the various fountains and pull a weed or two. It is soul satisfying......

We had a cold winter here in Central Fla and my camillias bloomed out into April. The first year ever for that to happen. They were breathtaking. I am having trouble with Pest control companies trying to find a reputable one to spray my camillias. the stories I could tell.

I meant to add, I threw out about 5 packages of wild flower seeds this year, very early in the spring, along wtih zinnia seed and some that had reseeded from last year. I have enjoyed the results to no end. I saw things blooming that I never had before and I couldnt tell you what they were....someone once told me that the trick to that kind of gardening was to not disturb the soil from one year to the next to have any good luck with wild flowers. We'll see next year. But, I do intend to strew out another packet or two of seed....just in case.....

Oh yes, I grow okra in my flower beds because I like the plants, the pods and I think the flowers are beautiful.....<s>

Last edited by AnnieA; 06-10-2010 at 10:05 PM..

Old 06-18-2010, 06:46 PM

14,811 posts, read 8,163,316 times
Day lily - I transplanted some from an old, uninhabitable house in the neighborhood (I live in an old farm area). They must be decades old. They always come up orange but this year there is a cream colored one in the bunch!! Another mutation, I spoze, like the white peony that bloomed this year in my fuchsia ones.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/seagrape/garden/daylilyr.jpg (broken link)

Red geranium. - it spends the winter indoors and then back outside every summer until early fall when the first frost comes. That's an old chamber pot it's planted in.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/seagrape/garden/geraniumr.jpg (broken link)

Elderberry blooms - I have three bushes and get enough berries from them to bottle about 36 bottles of elderberry juice which will last me an entire year.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:33 PM

257 posts, read 696,348 times
Very pretty. Love the elderberry!

Old 06-19-2010, 11:08 AM

2,097 posts, read 2,655,924 times
I think I'm actually going to be able to keep my 'Sutherland Gold' elderberry alive this year! It's so pretty.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:48 PM

34,260 posts, read 6,945,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Day lily - I transplanted some from an old, uninhabitable house in the neighborhood (I live in an old farm area). They must be decades old. They always come up orange but this year there is a cream colored one in the bunch!! Another mutation, I spoze, like the white peony that bloomed this year in my fuchsia ones.
Gorgeous daylily!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden