Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 05:02 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,157,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
I did find cherry red rudbeckias
they would add an interesting contrast with the regular rudbeckias

http://www.beltramicountymastergarde...erryBrandy.jpg
This is what mine looked like last year. They bloomed late and didn't come out the vivid red advertised by the seed company I purchased them from. They have returned this year, and I sowed lots of seeds I collected. It'll be interesting to see what blooms I get from those this year since they cross pollinate easily with others. It's Rudbeckia hirta too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 05:20 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times
thanks paperhouse
Do they get as big as the regular Rudbeckia ?
Ours have gotten close to 4' high , I originally planted them 5 years ago and they come back each year. I am ordering some of the red seeds to add to the bed.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
well all you guys are about 3 classes ahead of me, I have no idea how to download my pictures, plus the yard (color anyway) of Azelias and bulbs are about gone, now we have our produce and the usual summer flowers.

Keep sending the pics, they are fun and so beautiful.

Nita

Old 05-29-2010, 10:00 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,492,056 times
I went out and took some photos this morning.
Front yard:

My dogwood just bloomed this week. (It was here when I moved in) I think it was really late last year, too. Should I be worried?

Backyard:

(^this was taken a couple days ago)

I just planted it a couple weeks ago, but it looks like the speedwell will bloom this year.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:42 PM

44,354 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Here are some pics I took while doing yard work today. (Click on images to see full size).

Delphiniums started blooming
a couple of days ago. They're
actually more of a true blue
than they appear in this photo.

Dianthus. Supposed to be an
annual or biannual in my area,
but this is the 4th year in a
row these guys have bloomed
for me!

My main flower garden, not
blooming yet. Lots of buds.
In about a week, it should be
a riot of color!

Some of my hostas. You
can't really tell the scale from
this picture, but they are HUGE!
Will look nicer when I put some
mulch around them. Plant in top
right corner is thyme.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:46 PM

Nice pictures, JR_C!

I can't get lupines to grow in my yard. Not sure why. Might have to do with my black walnut trees.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
How inspiring all the pictures are!

We just planted this hydrangia about two months ago. It is still trying to decide if it will be pink or blue. The two blooms on it originally were solid pink.

Attachment 63424

Edited to ask: how can I insert larger pics? Thanks
Your pics are just fine! All we need to do is click on the image to see it full size.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Nice pictures, JR_C!

I can't get lupines to grow in my yard. Not sure why. Might have to do with my black walnut trees.
Thanks!

I'm not sure if there is anything special about where I planted that lupine. I'm still a novice. I usually stick to plants considered "easy to grow" (ornamental grasses, salvia, phlox, daisies, black-eyed-susans, etc.) but sometimes just pick something that looks interesting.

I've come close to trying to plant delphiniums, but am scared away by the soil or care requirements. As I said above, I tend to choose plants that require little care, and naturalize to their surroundings.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:25 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,157,105 times
JR_C, your dogwood is Cornus kousa. It blooms after it leafs out. Compared to the native dogwood, Cornus florida, it blooms much later. Don't worry about it. Over the years, it will continue to grow into a nice compact specimen. It will always flower later than the other dogwoods.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
JR_C, your dogwood is Cornus kousa. It blooms after it leafs out. Compared to the native dogwood, Cornus florida, it blooms much later. Don't worry about it. Over the years, it will continue to grow into a nice compact specimen. It will always flower later than the other dogwoods.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden