U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 06:35 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,157,609 times

Advertisements

I just moved in 3 summers ago. There was a sunny patch w/very little grass so I scraped off the visible growth, turned over as best as I could, pulled out any visible roots, then built some box beds and filled with clean soil/peat.

Vegetables do grow, but grass/weeds do also. In the winter I mulch the beds heavily with leaf compost, but still get tons of grass. So I want to start off right by clearing it all out before I plant (I am in NY so have some time before last frost. but I need to get my peas in!)

I really don't want to spray...hoeing doesn't seem to get to the roots. Pulling just breaks it off. the boxes could be removed. THree 3x 5 ft boxes don't seem like a big enough garden to merit the rental of a rototiller, and wouldn't that just stir the roots up and they'd still grow back?

Advice please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 06:42 AM

309 posts, read 1,093,998 times
Greetings,
You may have to dig deeper to over turn, and there is always weeds and some grass to pop thru. That is part of having a garden. And a great place to go to get away from it all.
BE BLESSED

Old 04-26-2010, 07:33 AM

956 posts, read 3,494,159 times
You should turn the soil over at least to the depth of a shovel blade. During the time vegetables are growing, cultivate to remove weeds. Before you plant again, turn the soil over again, to the depth of the shovel blade. A vegetable garden should be turned over every year, its different than a flower garden.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:12 AM

16,902 posts, read 51,488,051 times
Someone will undoubtedly chime in with the idea of using MORE mulch, and in some cases that may work. I have found that all that is needed for weeds is open soil and rain. You can watch the dandelion seeds waft onto the ground, grasses can give tons of seeds, and if your soil isn't toxic, they will germinate.

Keeping things under control is a trade-off of expense and work. One trick I use in the spring is to till, wait a few days, then till again, the till once more before planting. By using transplants for the early crops, the plants have a head start in their little pots even while the competing weeds and grasses are being decimated by the tiller.

Once the main growing season starts, then the weed wars begin in earnest for me, but a 70' x 90' garden is a lot different than your 3 3'x5' boxes. A small roll of landscape fabric could cover your entire planting area. Cut "X" slits where you plant your peas and don't worry about weeds all summer.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:51 PM

84 posts, read 377,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
...Once the main growing season starts, then the weed wars begin in earnest for me, but a 70' x 90' garden is a lot different than your 3 3'x5' boxes. A small roll of landscape fabric could cover your entire planting area. Cut "X" slits where you plant your peas and don't worry about weeds all summer.
Does the landscape fabric/weed blocker really work for you? Our home had it in the ground under the mulch when we bought it, but I am still pulling a lot of grass and chickweed off of it. They seem to grow right on top of it with only a few tiny roots penetrating.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:13 PM

16,902 posts, read 51,488,051 times
It works on the floor of the greenhouse, but there is a lot less wind blown stuff there. There is a slitted polyethelene black plastic weed barrier that might be better suited for this purpose.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:05 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,721,075 times
Killing grass in veg garden

Hoe. (and/or) Tiller.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:22 PM

6,987 posts, read 12,412,238 times
A friend of my dad swears by Preen. It's a granular that can be sprinkled over the ground to kill the weeds. Says he's been using it for years. I stick with the landscape fabric that was mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden