U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 02:59 PM

9,568 posts, read 27,038,241 times

Advertisements

What have you used (besides a fence of course) to keep deer from eating your sunflowers? Evertime I try to grow them a deer comes along and eats the tiop of the plant off after it gorwas a foot or two. I know there are sprays out there that ward off deer, but I would like to hear from people who have had success using them so I can decide which one I should try.

Thanks!

Here are the types of sunflowers I am trying to grow this season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 03:06 PM

29 posts, read 116,849 times
I don't know about the deer thing, sorry..just wanted to chime in and say that I grew some of the 'Evening Sun Mix' sunflowers last year and they came out nice and they've actually reseeded themselves this year in my veggie garden

Old 04-27-2010, 03:10 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,134,028 times
BB gun....shotgun....electric fence. LOL - sorry, just having a bit of fun.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:12 PM

29 posts, read 116,849 times
I was thinking beartrap

Old 04-27-2010, 03:13 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,134,028 times
Or how about a loud noise-making device connected to a motion sensor. This would stop the deer, but would also encourage neighbors to hate you.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:20 PM

476 posts, read 1,448,492 times
Default Oh Deer!

There is a motion sensor sprinkler head called the "SCARECROW" that you set up near your garden and if it detects movement it will shoot out water which startles them. It might take you a few times not to walk out to the garden without disarming it but they are said to be safe & effective deterrents for deer.

Our yellow lab kept the deer at bay, but now that he is no longer with us they are stopping by regularly. Animal hair and "scents" are well known to keep deer away. Put dog (or cat?) hair right on the plant or around the base... Pet doody will not only keep the deer away, but your neighbors too (good news/bad news?)!

I have also had luck with small bags of "Irish Spring" soap that I've put in cut up squares of pantyhose or cheescloth and hung, but they are a PITA to make. They also look silly, like little blue-green eggs. Guess you can just shave some near the flowers...

Old 04-27-2010, 04:33 PM

13,819 posts, read 18,771,405 times
yep I also ditto the irish spring in pantyhose legs my granny used to do that and I will swear by it .

Old 04-27-2010, 04:59 PM

4,023 posts, read 4,727,559 times
I've used Scarecrow for rabbits and crows..........(don't laugh, crows tear big chunks out of the lawn and it looks terrible when you are trying to sell a house.....I've tried grub killer, and tons of other ideas, but Scarecrow is the best).. HOWEVER, the water must be on 24/7 in order to get it to work....one of mine is connected to a very thick, red, construction hose......no problems. The other is connected to a regular green hose which caused leakage at the spigot.....it came through the walls, we had a flood in the house......$$$ and loads of stress! They sense movement and take 9-v batteries....

I have bought bitter stuff to spray on plants...and I have bought very stinky stuff to spray, too..(it has blood and I think, coyote urine in it--it STINKS!!!)......one is called Ropel and if you want me to go look up the other one, lemme know.....this keeps them at bay for awhile, but sprinklers, rain, dew, etc., wash it off and you have to reapply within a few days and who has the time to constantly spritz that stuff???? The Ropel is not easy to find in CA. and the last time I bought it, it cost @ $60.00 a gallon......not cheap for sure! And I am not sure I'd spray it on anything I'd eat......(are you planning on eating the seeds? I see that the envelope on the right is the one grown for seeds.) You can also try sprinkling hot chili pepper flakes.....but that also has to be done quite often...... Maybe go to a beauty shop and get some human hair to sprinkle around the plants?

I've tried a lot of stuff over the years......not for deer, but deer are depicted on the spray cannisters.....

Old 04-27-2010, 05:29 PM

17,846 posts, read 54,109,596 times
You realize that if the deer don't get them, the birds will?

Old 04-27-2010, 05:44 PM

9,568 posts, read 27,038,241 times
^ I'm cool with the birds eating the seeds. I'm just trying to get past the fact that deer come along and eat my sunflowers when they are but 2' tall. I'd be happy to see them reach their full height and actually bloom and then watch the birds devour the seeds. I will try the irish spring trick.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden