Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 08:59 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,296,874 times

Advertisements

Wow, these are gorgeous. That stacked stone wall is my favorite. The second one looks like it's a concrete wall faced with stone. Still, it's beautiful. Not too sure about the cemetery wall though. Is that a retaining wall or a garden wall? I'm thinking it can't be a retaining wall because it's concfrete blocks and mortar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 09:30 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,257,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Sheesh, I was out riding around in the car and I thought of this thread.

Here are some walls I liked today:

There's one that's beside an old cemetery, one at a garden center, and one is just in the pharmacy parking lot. I liked all three of these.
Those look like crap imo. Get some imagination in these things. Looks like a kid piled some rocks on top of each other.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:37 AM

32,754 posts, read 35,950,249 times
Quote:
Sheesh, I was out riding around in the car and I thought of this thread.

Here are some walls I liked today:

There's one that's beside an old cemetery, one at a garden center, and one is just in the pharmacy parking lot. I liked all three of these.
Me too, but those cost a lot more.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:45 PM

26,634 posts, read 28,419,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Me too, but those cost a lot more.
Yeah, if money is no object.............

I had that stacked kind of stone wall at my house and I guess they would be expensive now. It came with the house and it wasn't an expensive house.

I'm wondering about the low stone wall at the pharmacy parking lot--I bet it IS fake--real stones but over concrete. Will have a closer look tomorrow.

The cemetery wall that looks like concrete blocks is really big granite blocks. There's a lot of granite around here and that is an older cemetery so it was probably affordable back when it was built.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:56 AM

9 posts, read 21,496 times
Default Block retaining wall

I think it's very attractive. Adds interest to the fairly simple landscaping, mostly a pretty lawn. And you have a lot of latitude when time comes to paint your house. You won't have to re-build your wall to match it to paint color(!)
Really, looks great!

Old 05-12-2013, 01:32 PM

Stacked stone walls are very desirable. They are all over the UK, bordering farm fields and many are hundreds of years ole. That's how people made stone walls back then. They piled up rocks. The walls are gorgeous.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:38 AM

26,634 posts, read 28,419,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Stacked stone walls are very desirable. They are all over the UK, bordering farm fields and many are hundreds of years ole. That's how people made stone walls back then. They piled up rocks. The walls are gorgeous.
We have a lot of the old walls here too bordering the fields and just everywhere. Sometimes if you go into the woods you will find an old stone wall where fields used to be. Building them is almost a lost art. Our old ones were made of more rounded stones though. They had to dig down below the frost line and set the stones in place and build it up, fitting the stones as they went along. The builders had such patience (and so many extra stones) that they were able to fit the stones together like a jigsaw puzzle with small stones to fill in the crevices. No mortar and those walls still stand. Stone walls, centuries old, are a pleasure to see. (Ours were built by early English settlers so they copied you.)

Old 05-13-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
We have a lot of the old walls here too bordering the fields and just everywhere. Sometimes if you go into the woods you will find an old stone wall where fields used to be. Building them is almost a lost art. Our old ones were made of more rounded stones though. They had to dig down below the frost line and set the stones in place and build it up, fitting the stones as they went along. The builders had such patience (and so many extra stones) that they were able to fit the stones together like a jigsaw puzzle with small stones to fill in the crevices. No mortar and those walls still stand. Stone walls, centuries old, are a pleasure to see. (Ours were built by early English settlers so they copied you.)
What is so awesome (literally) is driving for miles andmiles in the UK and seeing those walls. You really do have to marvel at the patience of people back then.

But tell me, why would they have to dig as far down as the frost line? Many of those walls are only a few feet tall. That seems like an awfully deep base for a wall like that. Frustrating for the farmers, too -- all that work and you can't even see the wall until you've piled up umpteen courses of stones!

Old 05-13-2013, 08:06 PM

515 posts, read 774,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketabcha View Post
i think it is gorgeous. Love the colors and precision.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:25 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,681,185 times
I absolutely love those walls, but that one is WAY to "busy" for my taste. I can see using both greys together and doing a pattern, but to me, the mix of so many colors, used in such a random pattern....is chaotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden