Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 11:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times

Advertisements

We have that happen several times a year. With weekly yard waste pickup some of can be cut up and put in the bin, nut with a powerful mulching riding mower, anything small becomes nutrients for the grass. There is no chute, it drops out under the deck. Some of it, like 3/4" branches can be hard on the blade, but I can remove/sharpen/reinstall it in less than an hour. Eventually, when needed a new blade is only $30. It will also pick up and grind from the driveway and dirt areas, so all that's left to rake is bark or gravel spots, but I only move it onto the grass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 05:14 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
I have 4 large and old pecan trees in my yard that are constantly shedding branches, especially after windy thunderstorms. I use one of these grabbers to pick them up and toss them onto a tarp, which I then drag to the street for pickup. Much better than bending and picking them up individually. Easy and cheap.

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-reacher-...DWpxoCeGXw_wcB

Old 04-02-2017, 05:15 PM

18,047 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Wouldn't it be cheaper to hire someone to come out 3 or 4 times a year with their large expensive mulcher and do your .5 acre yard for you? That's what I'd do instead of investing all the $$$ in the equipment.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:35 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Use a blower to push the little twigs and leaves and pine cones into an easier to remove pile. Or blow them into the woods or a designated corner of your yard. You can use a backpack blower if you are strong, or a push blower/sidewalk cleaner if you can afford one.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:38 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
We have a used riding mower with a mulcher. I think we paid $300. Watch Craigslist, or your local mower shop might sell used ones.
Twigs and branches are picked up by our waste removal company, once a month or so, in piles of 4' long or less, otherwise paper bags full of yard waste is picked up once a week.
If you have room for a fire pit in your yard, you could dispose of some of it that way.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:56 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Braunwyn:

Many lawn mowers are mulch-enabled. Basically it means a "cap" covers the discharge chute, and there is no bagger or other "outlet" for the stuff to go, so it gets cut/shredded over and over into tiny bits for you.

Even though you paid $300, you can get a mulcher mower for $100, push style. Price has nothing to do with mulching capabilities.

Also, consult a tree surgeon, he can cut out parts that are likely dead/dying that will shed branches easily. You can still have branches down in a storm or high wind, but it may cut down the shedding.

Best of luck,,,We have ten trees in our back yard and only have .23 acres. We are having them trimmed and mabey in a couple of years we will have them out, I want dwarf fruit trees instead. All those leaves and branches are a nuisance to our neighbors also!

Best of luck "trimming" your problem! {pun intended}

Old 04-06-2017, 09:47 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Even though this thread is from 2010 I guess we can still give ideas.

This is what I do with my sticks...

Then this... I don't use oil, Nat Gas, Electric for heat.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:47 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
this is what I do with my sticks...

Old 04-06-2017, 06:32 PM

311 posts, read 450,501 times
Ghengis, I think your "sticks" have graduated into "logs" and I would not recommend trying to run them over with a mulchng mower.

If the sticks are small, you can run them over with your mower. In the "mulching configuration" you don't use a bag. The only reason I would ever use a bag is to collect cuttings I wanted to use as mulch some place else. When you chop up your lawn litter, (sticks, leaves, cones etc) you are returning essential nutrients back into the soil. The only thing to put at the curb for pick up are large branches (Like Ghengis'), or something thorny you don't want sticking you in your bare feet or when used as mulch, or anything diseased. Either start a compost pile or compost in place with your mulching mower.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:52 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Mow over them, if you live where the soil sucks, like mine (clay) your yard will thank you. I'm in the same position, as soon as I raked up a bunch of leaves, and sweet gum balls, we had a lot of wind and the balls are all over the place and many of the leaves I raked in a pile are back where they were. It's terrible when the sweet gums end up in my beds with mulch, I can't rake those and will have to use a blower.

I put a lot of the leaves in an area where I'm trying to build up some of the soil where it is lower than some other areas, so basically, it's a big mulch pile. The leaves are breaking down, and eventually, I'll have some great soil in that area to plant more plants

BTW, I have a 3/4 acre lot - I feel your pain and totally understand!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden