U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 05:54 PM

336 posts, read 62,985 times

Advertisements

Any idea what this thing is? It looks like an oversized ant that is bright red and black. I have seen 3 of them since I moved here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2006, 06:12 PM

180 posts, read 533,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S.
Any idea what this thing is? It looks like an oversized ant that is bright red and black. I have seen 3 of them since I moved here.

It's called a Velvet Ant or Cow Killer....

Old 08-03-2006, 08:01 PM

5,660 posts, read 18,324,710 times
It's actually a Wasp, not an ant. The females are wingless and resemble hairy ants. Found from New York to Florida and Gulf states, west to Texas. Bee and wasp spray or one of the flying insect aerosols will kill it.

http://troyb.com/photo/images/photos/063-08-CowKiller.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 08-03-2006 at 08:25 PM..

Old 08-04-2006, 12:18 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,341,023 times
So...how big are these things & do they bite/sting?? Why are they called cow killers?? GEESH!!!

Rosie

Old 08-04-2006, 12:20 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,811,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie
So...how big are these things & do they bite/sting?? Why are they called cow killers?? GEESH!!!

Rosie
No kidding!!! ............

Old 08-04-2006, 12:48 AM

336 posts, read 62,985 times
The one in the picture was running pretty fast in my apartment parking lot. It was about the size of an average wasp, but had no wings.

Here is some info from wikipedia.

"They are known for their extremely painful sting, the venom of which was jokingly stated to be powerful enough to kill a cow, hence the nickname "cow killers." As with all Hymenoptera, only the females sting, and like all other wasps and bee (except honeybees), they can sting multiple times."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutillidae

Old 08-04-2006, 12:56 AM

5,660 posts, read 18,324,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie

Rosie
Dasymutilla occidentalis (Eastern U.S.)
Length - 5/8" to 1"

They have a rear stinger.

They get their name from the female's painful sting - so severe that many people claim it could kill a cow, but that is just folklore.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:20 AM

1,232 posts, read 2,649,215 times
Great. A whole new set of bug issues I will be dealing with once I relocate to NC. Hopefully, you folks don't have scorpions.

Old 08-04-2006, 02:26 AM

2,657 posts, read 5,020,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy
Great. A whole new set of bug issues I will be dealing with once I relocate to NC. Hopefully, you folks don't have scorpions.
Not that I've heard. We do have these (the picture is actually a pretty good representation of their size - they're a weeee bit smaller, but large enough that my cats make a respectful pass around them )

http://www.infobreaks.com/insects/ggs.jpg

They aren't to be feared though. I see them almost exclusively in the fall, when they come out of whatever buggy hole they've inhabited all season to spin a web across the corner of the house and fence. Thank goodness they don't span webs between trees. Too often I'll be walking through our woods and end up "aaack - *spit* - auugh!" when I get a faceful of web. Then I pinwheel my hands over my head, hoping I didn't pick up a passenger

Last edited by elnina; 09-19-2014 at 01:49 AM..

Old 08-04-2006, 03:21 AM

1,232 posts, read 2,649,215 times
LOL Silverwing. We have some spiders that have a tendency to span a well constructed web across our front porch during the summer months. The web is one thing, but grabbing onto a quarter sized bulb with legs really freaks me out.

The big problem we have in the summer are really black widows. They're easy to spot. In the daytime, I look around for their terribly constructed webs, and then go back out at night to find them hanging about. I tell my wife that I'm on a 'bug hunt' a few times during the summer. I find can of wasp killer with it's long distance shooting ability works best.

http://lei-chipamerikasite.nl/images/black%20widow.jpg (broken link)

Fortunately, they're not terribly aggressive spiders and won't go after you. They'd rather be left alone and usually place there webs in areas away from well traveled paths. But they can be damned poisonous and can propagate like you wouldn't believe.

Your arachnid looks fascinating, but I sure don't want to be messing with one of those. Even if it's not poisonous (it looks like it is), it can bite I'm sure. eh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden