Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:04 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,223 times

Advertisements

So after many many many sweaty hours we are almost done transforming our eye sore of a front yard into something presentable.

We had a very established 25' x 30' patch of english ivy with some out of control and thorny (I think) barberry bushes that we ripped out.

We had grand plans of planting pretty shrubs and flowers etc. but unfortunately the ivy and barberry have VERY extensive root systems and they keep trying to grow back so we settled on waiting to plant until next year while we kill the roots this year. We sprayed most of the area with a generous dose of weed killer, put a weed cloth down and mulch on top. Hopefully this will be enough

However, we had bought some smaller shrubs a few weeks ago on sale and I want to plant them. They were only $2.50 each so I won't be too heart broken if they die, we'll be planting them in an area that did not get sprayed with weed killer (yard is tiered). Problem is hubby and I are POOPED we tried to dig a hole for one of the shrubs yesterday and the ground is so hard and full of roots it's just too much for us. There must be some kind of power tool I can rent? Can someone please let me know what it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 11:09 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Like...a tiller?

Old 05-03-2010, 11:12 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,223 times
Is that it? Sorry I am completely new to this, grew up in the city and his is my first time ever having outdoor space.

Do you know around how much it costs to rent something like that or is it something worth buying?

Old 05-03-2010, 12:40 PM

112 posts, read 851,801 times
The tool you're looking for an auger but even 1-2 person auger is still no match for rocks or roots. If it's just a few shallow holes, I would go at it with a pick and shovel. If you're planting dozen of shrubs very deep, an auger might come in handy but it still takes muscle to operate the machine. You can rent one at your local Home Depot or Lowes if they have rentals.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:51 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espressoo View Post
The tool you're looking for an auger but even 1-2 person auger is still no match for rocks or roots. If it's just a few shallow holes, I would go at it with a pick and shovel. If you're planting dozen of shrubs very deep, an auger might come in handy but it still takes muscle to operate the machine. You can rent one at your local Home Depot or Lowes if they have rentals.
I agree that an auger is probably what you would need for what you have in mind. Basically, it's the power tool that's used for digging holes for fence posts and similar things. There are hand held augers, as well as tractor mounted units. If you have a lot of holes to dig, you might want to hire a person with a tractor to do the work. A good example of when you would want to do this is if you were fencing in a 40 acre field or ranch.

You might find that a post hole digger would work for you, without needing the expense of renting or purchasing a power tool. If you keep the edges relatively sharp, small roots shouldn't pose much of a problem. I've used one in my rocky soil with reasonable success (rocks will dull the edges quickly), but your success will depend on the size of the rocks and/or roots you encounter.

Edited to add: Here's a link showing an example of a post hole digger that I found by "Googling" the term "post hole digger."

http://www.home-improvement-supersto...te=google_base

Old 05-03-2010, 01:21 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,303 times
dont use that manual hole digger if youre not 100% healthy. my wrist were never the same after using them

Old 05-03-2010, 01:58 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Yeah two man auger very difficult to control unless your at full strength. I've seen them suckers hit a root just right, stick, jerk and break ribs. By hand you need whats called a mattock tool. Or a couple of healthy strong people for the two man auger. A small bobcat 410 with an auger attachment will do a job very quick with no risk of injury.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:04 PM

112 posts, read 851,801 times
I would caution the use of the power auger as it does take some strength to operate one. It can easily break your wrist or bruise you really bad if you suddenly hit a rock or big roots. That said, it does have benefits. With an 8-10" auger attachment, you can dig an 18" deep hole in less than a minute to plant 1-3 gallon shrubs with ease depending on your soil conditions.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:09 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
Is that it? Sorry I am completely new to this, grew up in the city and his is my first time ever having outdoor space.

Do you know around how much it costs to rent something like that or is it something worth buying?
Well, actually the tiller doesn't dig the holes, just loosens up the ground. I'm not sure how much it would cost to rent one. $35 an hour maybe? Never rented one.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:25 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Are you in Arizona? If not do have a menards or home depot close by?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden